New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I "sleeved" it !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question about what to do with my 14” Braked 309jdj barrel. I love the barrel and the way it shoots, but I can’t stand the noise!
Here’s the link.

Big Brake Question

Well I decided to “sleeve” it. I bought a 3/8” schedule 80 seamless 316 Stainless Steel pipe nipple and had a machinist turn it down to the correct O.D. to fit the Arrestor muzzle break expansion chamber exactly. The sleeve was hand fitted so that the barrel nut snugs the sleeve down but still allows the barrel nut to fully tighten. I had him finish ream the interior of the sleeve to a very smooth finish. A week or so later, I was able to shoot the sleeved barrel. Man was I pleased!!

One note, the sleeve did change point of impact. My first 100 yard shot was a fire forming load and it hit the paper about 4 inches high and to the left about 2 inches. I thought about moving the scope but decided against it. I then fired a three shot group with full charge 165 grain Ballistic Tips that measured .688”. With limited time, I adjusted the scope and fired one more three shot group that measured .883”. Even though I’ve had this barrel for several years, I’ve never really fine-tuned the loads. I think it may do better?

Most likely since the point of impact does change with and without the sleeve, the sleeve will stay in. However, I now have the option of the brake if I want it.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote