Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning after 44 mag. hardcasts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted
Guys, what's the best way to clean my Lone Eagle 44mag. after shootin' 300 gr. hardcasts? Tried Hoppe's and a brush, still residue. Tried Wipeout 3 times, and can still see residue on the lands. This is the first time for me using lead bullets . Jacketed cleaned up great with the Wipeout. Any advice?
Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
A product called "RB-17" works pretty well on lead. I have also used Birchwood Casey's bore cleaner on lead with good results.

I am trying inverted gas checks now to avoid the whole leading issue....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's kind of goopy, but Blue Wonder gun cleaner(Midway used to sell it, I suppose they still do)is about as good at cleaning lead residue as any product I've tried and it takes a minimum of effort, sort of like wipeout. However, there is a learning curve to applying it, it is very runny and is kind of a pain to deal with, but it seems to work well. I tried it after I decided that wipeout wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
BW is multiples faster than Hoppe's lead remover, which will allow you to see your grandkids before it cleans as far as I can tell.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Go to the grocery store and get yourself some of the copper "Chore-Boy" type scouring pads. DO NOT USE STEEL PADS LIKE BRILLO. Copper or brass only.

Cut out a "patch" from one of the pads and wrap it around a worn or slightly undersized bronze bore brush.

Simply run it through your bore on a rod and it will "cut" out the leading until none remains. You can actually feel it cut into the leaded areas.

Extremely safe and fast and uses no solvent whatsoever.

All I have used for about 10 years now for leading.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headstamp:
Go to the grocery store and get yourself some of the copper "Chore-Boy" type scouring pads.

Gonna try that one, thanks Ray! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like that idea too!!!. My motto is: GIVE THE LAZIEST MAN THE HARDEST JOB TO DO, AND HE'LL FIND THE EASIEST WAY TO DO IT!!!!

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a lazy man...

You might find yourself in a situation where the job doesn't get done at all!

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
As my grandmother used to say, "Give it a try and see if you hate it". [Big Grin]

Only one layer of wrap on the bronze brush now and don't worry if the patch kind of unravels. We just want a fair amount of strands on the brush to get into the nooks and crannies of the bore.

Leading jammed down into the corners of the lands will take a little more effort in some cases but just go easy and it will come out.

Watch the steel core of the bore brush so it doesn't contact the bore as always. (don't go wild ramming it down the barrel [Wink] )

Regards

<SlimL>
posted
I always run a few jacketed bullets through after I am done shooting cast. 6 rounds of jacketed to every 50 to 75 cast bullets shot. 12 jacketed at the very end of the session. Although I have to admit that leading has never been a problem for me. You don't mention anything about your cast bullets. Is the lube breaking down on you? How hard are they? Are the bullets so hard that they aren't obturating enough to make a good gas seal? This will allow the lead to melt and cause excess leading. Just a couple of other things to look at. Slim

<Fuzz>
posted
What SlimL said. Works well for me.
Fuzz