New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inside-the belt holsters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shopping for a concealed carry holster for a couple of weeks. My "what is the universe of holsters I will consider" search uncovered a type of carry I had kind've used when testing how I want to position gun and holster. But I had no idea holsters are made for the carry.

When practice or test carrying, I place revolver barrel beneath belt and outside of pant waist. It is almost secure enough with three- and four-inch barrels to allow a holsterless carry. It definitely positions revolvers much closer to IWB than any pancake OWB. Then I discovered several custom holster makers offer inside-the belt holsters.

Has anyone used such a holster with three- and four-inch barreled revolvers? Those who have used one, how comfortable are they after several hours of wearing? Please describe problems you have discovered after wearing holster for a while.
My carry position is cross-draw. I have looked for, and at, only leather holsters having some sort of revolver retention device - that is, thumb break, trigger guard break, and clamping springs (Bianchi CD series, et al.).

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying for 47 years as a LEO as well as permit holder. I fing that the inside waistband carry is my favorite of all and firearm can be easily accessed in any position and well concealed. Having said that, you need to face reality, sometimes this means dressing around the gun and may not be for all occasions the best way to carry. You should have other holsters as well to round out yor holster wardrobe so to speak so that you can always be armed and prepared. Just something to think about, not written in stone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clayman216:

There are but two things where I want consistency: cross-draw holster; and having all holsters intended for concealed carry function exactly the same way.

A while ago I was told about a uniform LEO being stabbed while not in uniform. He reached for his strong side uniform carry while wearing a shoulder holster. Trust me, I am much more of a day-dreamer than he was.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been vary happy with my Comp-Tac Holster. they are tuckable but what sets them apart from others (at the time I bought my holster) was that the belt clips came in different colors so I could match my belt.

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks for the win. Best in the industry imo.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Stealth Gear out of Utah. IWB holster.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bianchi Pistol Pocket. Adjustable angle so can be strong or cross draw and retention strap.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Mitch Rosen OWB holsters. They do make an IWB for revolvers, the Workman (WKM), that is tuckable. May want to look at that.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GCODE incog eclipse.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/ECLIPSE.html

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FIST in ultra-thin Kydex. Excellent IWB holsters and I have tried them all.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15055 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an IWB tuckable holster made by ETW. With some effort and practice I can get it somewhat comfortable. Duluth Trading--the folks that advertise Buck Naked underwear and such make Fire Hose pants. Their Foreman model Flex Fire Hose pants have a zippered pocket on the right front. I wrap my carry piece in a handkerchief and drop it in there and forget about it. Most comfortable carry I have found. Certainly wouldn't win a fast draw contest, but wouldn't otherwise. BTW the pants are $65 and come in 3 colors--you can find Duluth Trading online.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took me a minute to re-read your original post to figure out that you are NOT talking about IWB holsters but rather inside the belt, but outside the pants. In other words between the belt and pants. I have never seen such a holster, but I am sure they exist. I have done it a time or two with an Uncle Mike's holster on the unintended side of the body and it worked just fine.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larrys, I didn't notice that either.

My favorite inside the belt holster is the Galco Jackslide. I believe its roots are in the old Jackass holsters. Great holster that holds the pistol under the belt but still outside the pants

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
I used to carry a Ruger SP-101 in a Crossbreed IWB holster. That's the only way to go.

Todd

I have had carry permits since the 1980s. I have had dozens of holsters, Milt Sparks, T&T, Bianchi, etc. Nothing is more comfortable than my Crossbreed IWBs especially after 8 or 10 hours of carrying. I have one for every gun on my permit.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote