New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water exposure testing of Carry Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I carry a lot. Nearly all the time. I carry A G27 and either Federal HST 180s or 165s.

With Summer coming on, I have been on the river canoeing quite a bit lately. I normally carry on my belt in shorts etc. I use a SERPA holster and mag carrier. Anyway, I have been getting immersed in the spring flow and I switch out my wet ammo and refresh with new stuff so I have a fair amount of once soaked HSTs. So I decided to do a water test- labelling each round in lots of five and immersing them in river water for varying durations. Immerse for a specified duration, remove, load and fire wet, repeating the test for 10 cycles as listed below.

1-3 minutes
2-10 minutes
3-20 minutes
4-40 minutes
5-60 minutes
6-80 minutes
7-100 minutes
8-12 hours
9-24 hours
10-48 hours

All rounds fired/function the gun w/o any issue.

Note: HSTs are LE ammunition and therefore are sealed bullet and primer. I will continue to use these rounds for practice once submerged even though my simple test revealed no problems. I will not risk an anomaly dud- if you are an active type who carries- trust your ammo- your premium LE grade ammo to work when you need it, but always trade it out and relegate it other practice bin just in case.

Next test will be with a bunch of reloads and factory ball ammo - no sealants applied I suppose, to see if there is a significant difference in performance. I personally doubt any but the longest submerged will have any problems, we shall see.

Oh, by the way, Hornady One Shot is applied to the gun and water sheds like off a ducks back- I dis-assemble and dry with canned air, but so far no issues ( I have been carrying this G27 for about 10 years daily now-she ain't purdy any longer, but she goes bang every time!)

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've accidently run quite a few rounds through the wash machine. So far none of them have failed to fire at the range. I've never tried this with washed rimfire rounds due to the nature of the crimping, as I assume water will get past.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years many have tested ammo for water resistant's Factory ammo is very water resistant. hand loads almost as much.

A few years ago I was emptying my duck boat out there was about 18 inches of rain water in it.

I found a couple of win 12ga shot shells that had been under water for at least two weeks if not a bit longer. They fired just fine.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting test. Good work! Some time ago, they recommended nail polish be applied to the primer area after insertion of the primer. I am not sure what the basis for this is, other than with some factory rounds, one does see a pink or red stain in that area.Not sure whether nail polish would work around the case rim, with seated bullet.
HP some time back I started a thread about a waterproof fanny pack. I did find one and use it for water situations eg. kayaking for my carry gun.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Which pack did you get? My London Bridge, no longer in production and not advertised as dry, gets wet when submerged for longer than a quick dunk I'd like a drier bag for kayaking.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam, I got a HUMMINGBIRD travel pack. Bought it on eBay as I recollect. The size is good, and what happens is that you roll the top over a couple of times and secure it with the clips provided. This prevents the water from coming in (easily!). Not sure how well it would last for prolonged exposure under water, but in theory, if turned over, the first thing one would do is to get the pack out of the water. Of course one could always put the gun in a zip lock plastic bag and then put it inside the travel pack. It has proved very handy for the beach, but the main thing I like is the fairly generous size which allows for a firearm and cell phone, wallet etc.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was looking at them yesterday. I've already soaked a phone. Turned it on two days later after letting it dry, it worked. I was up on the Shenandoah. Down here I'm either brackish or saltwater though. Just because a Glock can take it doesn't mean I should force it to.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While some may feel comfortable wearing a firearm in a hermetically sealed container to protect it from exposure...wait a minute, don't we carry firearms to protect us from exposure? A bit of cynicism.... Sorry

My only concern for my sidearm is that it works each and every/any time I require it to. I clean it after every water excursion anyway. I like to think it likes a bath so it can get a good rubdown and lube later.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent a day training a client where it rained all day. both of our Glocks where socked by the end of the day. A quick field strip and some oil and they were ready for another day of shooting,.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
…which is why I carry a Glock loaded with Federal

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot an AR in the rain all day too. On a kayak I'm not as worried about a quick draw. I know.those vicious jetski gangs out there.

I might have to come.up.with a new design.