Find
Notify
Tools

Sign the Petition for Universal Concealed Carry
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Please go the link, sign it, and pass it along to your concealed carrying and shooting buddies.

Petition For Universal Recognition of State’s Concealed Weapon Permits and an Interim Federal Concealed Weapon Permit

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I signed it, but someone is dreaming.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be nice, but..........

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that would have the primary effect, imho, of legitimizing concealed carry by millions of people in this country, who shouldn't be allowed to carry a sharpened pencil let alone a firearm.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Apparently, you didn't read it. It is for state's to universally recognize other states concealed carry permits. It wouldn't make it any easier for anyone to get a permit it would just mean that if someone had a permit from their state that it would also be recognized by the other states.

Idaho's concealed carry permit isn't recognized in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, and twelve other states. Three of those states border Idaho! You don't think that's messed up? Or do you think that's legitimate because, using your own words, Idaho's concealed carry holders "shouldn't be allowed to carry a sharpened pencil let alone a firearm"?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Idaho's concealed carry permit isn't recognized in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, and twelve other states. Three of those states border Idaho! You don't think that's messed up? Or do you think that's legitimate because, using your own words, Idaho's concealed carry holders "shouldn't be allowed to carry a sharpened pencil let alone a firearm"?

I understand what you are saying here but the background checks and class room training to get a concealed carry permit is not the same in all states. I have zero idea what is involved is getting a permit in Idaho. However the fact that a state borders yours may or may not be a great idea to have a reciprocity with a state that issues a permit simply because a person knows the sheriff!

In Texas the back ground check is both State and Federal and the Penal code for the state is 16 hours of class room with a multiple choice test for the first time applicant. After that the renewal is only 8 hours class room. In all renewals one must qualify with the firearm on the range.
If the applicant has ever been found guilty of a felony, is delinquent on a school loan, or any state license revoked, been arrested for family violence, been adjudicated to a mental treatment, he/she will not get a license in Texas. Our finger prints are on file in both federal and state files.
The conditions to get a carry permit in Texas is more thorough than the conditions for the people who guard the President of the United States. Only states that are equally background checked to the same extent will be recognized for reciprocity in Texas. If the rules of your state are equal or higher then Texas you will be allowed to carry here, if not no way. The same may be the case in states bordering your state.

I for one certainly do not want Washington to decide if I can have a permit to carry.

.................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HUH? I thought all you jackasses were for the constitution? Slept with it under your pillow in fact! What about"states rights"? Oh wait! They don't count when it comes to concealed carry. We want the Feds to override states rights! Make up your mind, PLEASE! Presumably you are for enforced reciprocity, enforced by the Federal Government. That makes a lot of sense! This is another race to the bottom.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
No.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
n Texas the back ground check is both State and Federal and the Penal code for the state is 16 hours of class room with a multiple choice test for the first time applicant. After that the renewal is only 8 hours class room.

That is BIGTIME WRONG!

Not 16 hours and 8 hours.

Straight from Texas DPS website:

quote:
raining Requirements

26. What type of class or training is required in order to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
An original (first-time) LTC applicant must complete classroom training, pass a written examination and pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting). All classroom and proficiency must be conducted by an LTC instructor certified by DPS. The classroom instruction may be a four to six hour course and must cover the four (4) statutory required topics:

Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force
Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns
Non-violent dispute resolution
Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
Training material related to the safe storage of handguns may be found on Safe Storage.pdf

See LTC Qualification Course Requirements (pdf) for the proficiency demonstration (shooting) requirements.

To locate a DPS-certified LTC instructor, see Instructor List.

27. Is there a requirement to take a continuing education course before I can renew my Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
Per HB 48 (83rd Legislature), continuing education is no longer required for LTC renewal. License holders will simply apply online and submit the supporting documents for discounted fees or special conditions.

NOTE: It is the license holder’s responsibility to remain informed and knowledgeable of new laws. For additional information related to new legislation, see Legislative Updates.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
n Texas the back ground check is both State and Federal and the Penal code for the state is 16 hours of class room with a multiple choice test for the first time applicant. After that the renewal is only 8 hours class room.

That is BIGTIME WRONG!

Not 16 hours and 8 hours.

Straight from Texas DPS website:

quote:
raining Requirements

26. What type of class or training is required in order to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
An original (first-time) LTC applicant must complete classroom training, pass a written examination and pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting). All classroom and proficiency must be conducted by an LTC instructor certified by DPS. The classroom instruction may be a four to six hour course and must cover the four (4) statutory required topics:

Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force
Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns
Non-violent dispute resolution
Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
Training material related to the safe storage of handguns may be found on Safe Storage.pdf

See LTC Qualification Course Requirements (pdf) for the proficiency demonstration (shooting) requirements.

To locate a DPS-certified LTC instructor, see Instructor List.

27. Is there a requirement to take a continuing education course before I can renew my Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
Per HB 48 (83rd Legislature), continuing education is no longer required for LTC renewal. License holders will simply apply online and submit the supporting documents for discounted fees or special conditions.

NOTE: It is the license holder’s responsibility to remain informed and knowledgeable of new laws. For additional information related to new legislation, see Legislative Updates.

JTex I'm sure you are correct with the new laws after LTC was enacted. However the last time I re-uped was two years ago and it doesn't expire till my birthday in 2019 and I have not seen a new book. My first application was three months before the license was legal to use the first time it became legal to carry. That was more than twenty years ago. At that time the classroom was two 8 hour days on the penal code and the first license was for two years. the first renewal the class room was one 8 hour day, and everyone since for me have been one 8 hour day.

The finger printing was done on line on my last renewal, but all others were ink rolled and mailed along with pass port pictures to the state and the feds.

The rules have changed evidently. My license still is and always has been a CHL, and so I suppose my next one will be under the new rules and Called LTC as you state.

I have a feeling this is your first carry license and if so that explains your siting of
the new rules. As I said my first license was in my pocket three months before it was legal to carry. That was the first time it had been legal to carry a firearm since about 1900,in Texas and there were still laws on many city books that stated one must turn you pistol in to the first saloon you came to after entering the city limits. Big Grin

I can assure you that your finger prints will be on file in both Texas and with the Feds.

I would love to have a book of the new rules like the ones issued with you new license always before. I still have several of the older books, which are no longer of any use it seems.
.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote