New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t beat up on people
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the best way not to get hurt in a fight is not to get into a fight.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This happened in my neck of the woods, and the local paper had a little more info on both the shooter and why he wasn’t charged.

The sheriff didn’t make the decision without input from the state prosecutor. He referred it to the prosecutor, and the prosecutor decided not to charge the shooter.

The shooter also has a history of “policing” the handicapped spot at this particular store and confronting people who park there without a tag. The paper quoted one individual who the shooter threatened to shoot a few months earlier:

“It wasn’t the first time he (the shop owner) saw Drejka (the shooter) in a fight with another customer. A couple of months back, Rick Kelly stopped by the store, parking his tanker truck in the same handicap spot. The details to Thursday’s incident are similar: Drejka walking around the truck checking for decals, then confronting Kelly, 31, about why he parked there. The fight escalated, and Drejka threatened to shoot him, Kelly said.
"It’s a repeat. It happened to me the first time. The second time it’s happening, someone’s life got taken," Kelly said. "He provoked that."

Drejka was also charged several years ago with brandishing his weapon, but the case never went to trial because the witness did not want to pursue the case.

Shooter should be charged with murder

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have found the best way not to get hurt in a fight is not to get into a fight.

Very true.

But sometimes one has no choice.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Very true.

But sometimes one has no choice.

Also true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFtxkJ7ywg

He wasn't because?

Murder along with other law violations have certain elements that have to be met.

If all the elements have not been met then there is no violation of that crime. No matter how close it looks like there was a violation.

From what I have seen LEO's and prosecutors take the killing of another human very seriously.

If Markeis McGlockton had not physically assaulted Dreika I would say he would not have been shot.

Even thro Dreika was actions were improper they were not illegal, they didn't rise to the point that the McGlockton needed to physically defend himself.

What we can't know from the video is what Markeis McGlockton said after he pushed Dreika to the ground.

If he issued threats while standing there that would carry a lot of weight for the reason not to prosecute.

A couple I am going to kick your ass or I'll kill you if you get up along with some swearing could very well make the difference.

Unless you were personally involved in the decision not to prosecute you really don't have all the facts to declare he should have been charged.

I would bet there was more to the brandishing case then just that the witness didn't want to " pursue" the case.

Prosecutors bring charges many times when one has reluctant witnesses/victims I am guess that the witness/victim couldn't get his story straight and the prosecutor wasn't willing to put him/her under cross examination.

Lessons to be learned from this don't confront people over their doing stupide stuff.

Don't attack those that confront you when your the one doing stupide stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFtxkJ7ywg

He wasn't because?

Murder along with other law violations have certain elements that have to be met.

If all the elements have not been met then there is no violation of that crime. No matter how close it looks like there was a violation.

From what I have seen LEO's and prosecutors take the killing of another human very seriously.

If Markeis McGlockton had not physically assaulted Dreika I would say he would not have been shot.

Even thro Dreika was actions were improper they were not illegal, they didn't rise to the point that the McGlockton needed to physically defend himself.

What we can't know from the video is what Markeis McGlockton said after he pushed Dreika to the ground.

If he issued threats while standing there that would carry a lot of weight for the reason not to prosecute.

A couple I am going to kick your ass or I'll kill you if you get up along with some swearing could very well make the difference.

Unless you were personally involved in the decision not to prosecute you really don't have all the facts to declare he should have been charged.

I would bet there was more to the brandishing case then just that the witness didn't want to " pursue" the case.

Prosecutors bring charges many times when one has reluctant witnesses/victims I am guess that the witness/victim couldn't get his story straight and the prosecutor wasn't willing to put him/her under cross examination.

Lessons to be learned from this don't confront people over their doing stupide stuff.

Don't attack those that confront you when your the one doing stupide stuff.

Playing community cop or strip mall cop or parking attendant is stupid. Best to take a picture with your phone and call local police.

Both this guy and another idiot Zimmerman tried to play community cop. Both ended by getting beaten and killing someone in self defense. Both will have their lives ruined by litigation and social publicity/stigma.

For the two people shot in self defense. Even when dealing with assholes who play community cop. Taken out your cell phone and film them and don’t ever physically harm them.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this has happened and being replayed often, not a single mention has been made about after the shove to the ground, McG was advancing 3 and 1/2 steps toward Dre and closing in. if your in Dre's place, what to do? McG's recouse on seeing a gun-I'd think-should be turn or run or duck and not to eyeball Dre.

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least in this state you have to not be a willing participant in order to claim self defense.

This guy violated that in getting into an altercation with the illegal parker in the first place.

At least here, he would be charged with a violent felony (manslaughter most likely) and be convicted.

Dipshits like this guy are making it harder to get some sort of stand your ground legislation in other states, and may well get FL to get rid of theirs.

Illegal parking is not a major issue worth bring up life or death altercations into it. With his history, he is not someone who should have a CCW license (or arguably a gun at all) in the first place- he's not mentally stable.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
At least in this state you have to not be a willing participant in order to claim self defense.

This guy violated that in getting into an altercation with the illegal parker in the first place.

At least here, he would be charged with a violent felony (manslaughter most likely) and be convicted.

Dipshits like this guy are making it harder to get some sort of stand your ground legislation in other states, and may well get FL to get rid of theirs.

Illegal parking is not a major issue worth bring up life or death altercations into it. With his history, he is not someone who should have a CCW license (or arguably a gun at all) in the first place- he's not mentally stable.

If he had shot the woman I might agree with you, but he didn't start anything with the person who physically assaulted him first.

His "history" makes no difference since he has no convictions which bar him from carrying a firearm. He may be eccentric, but he still has the right to protect himself against physical assaults.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the guy who was shot, was able to walk back inside store with what turns out to be a fatal chest wound.

It wasn't my call but looking at video, it would seem the guy on ground was not in any really dangerous situation, subject as mentioned above to what now dead person was saying. Thus IMO, which is just that, at least manslaughter would have been an appropriate charge.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

If he had shot the woman I might agree with you, but he didn't start anything with the person who physically assaulted him first.

His "history" makes no difference since he has no convictions which bar him from carrying a firearm. He may be eccentric, but he still has the right to protect himself against physical assaults.

He got in a verbal argument with the guy and it devolved into a shoving match and then a shooting.

The guy who got killed may have escalated it, but the shooter initiated it and then escalated as well.

That he was known to get into verbal altercations over things like this is a sign he was unstable- especially with the terroristic threats being reported.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all it would of took for the dumb ass dead guy to be alive to beat on his wife that night was to have kept his fat hands to himself. period. the shooter was mentally unstable? he's not the one that shoved someone to the ground then advanced on him. how do you know he wasn't saying "now i'm gonna kill ur white ass" as he advanced on the shooter laying on his back the victim of a physical assault. until you KNOW, don't blow.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
all it would of took for the dumb ass dead guy to be alive to beat on his wife that night was to have kept his fat hands to himself. period. the shooter was mentally unstable? he's not the one that shoved someone to the ground then advanced on him. how do you know he wasn't saying "now i'm gonna kill ur white ass" as he advanced on the shooter laying on his back the victim of a physical assault. until you KNOW, don't blow.

Do you know for a fact that he was a wife beater or are you just a bigoted assclown? If I saw some jackass giving my wife a hard time I might be primed to beat someone’s ass too.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm just a bigoted assclown. and a realist. and pragmatic. how do you know he was a jackass? are you just some bigoted liberal?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
From the Tampa Bay Newspaper..........

"Records show Drejka does not have a criminal history in Florida, although the Sheriff’s Office had prior contact with him in 2012 when a driver accused him of pulling a gun during a road rage incident. Drejka denied he showed the gun, and the accuser declined to press charges. McGlockton’s history included a drug conviction in 2010 and an arrest for aggravated battery a decade ago, records show, but the charge was dropped".

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
i'm just a bigoted assclown. and a realist. and pragmatic. how do you know he was a jackass? are you just some bigoted liberal?

Well at least you own up to it. Only a jackass would kill someone over a damn parking spot. I see nothing in the video to justify killing someone.

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seriously?? u think it was over a parking spot that the shot was fired? it was because of a violent assault and and very possible follow up. you put hands on someone they are entitled to respond. you must have led and are leading a very sheltered life to think he was shot over a parking spot and not an assault. have you ever even been in a fight? seen a fight in person? been threatened? obviously not. another arm chair monday morning quarterback thats never been on the field. stick to whatever it is you know.

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
seriously?? u think it was over a parking spot that the shot was fired? it was because of a violent assault and and very possible follow up. you put hands on someone they are entitled to respond. you must have led and are leading a very sheltered life to think he was shot over a parking spot and not an assault. have you ever even been in a fight? seen a fight in person? been threatened? obviously not. another arm chair monday morning quarterback thats never been on the field. stick to whatever it is you know.

You're a typical internet badass, making wild ass assumptions about someone you've never even met. Do they have any capitalized letters down there in South Texas?

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
instead of deflecting, why don't you answer the questions? if you've never been violently assaulted, don't assume to know how you would react. or blame others that have been in that situation. if you have, then fine, you have a right to an opinion on that subject. but until then................

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
instead of deflecting, why don't you answer the questions? if you've never been violently assaulted, don't assume to know how you would react. or blame others that have been in that situation. if you have, then fine, you have a right to an opinion on that subject. but until then................

Oh I see, you're the guy I need to talk to if I want the right to have an opinion on that subject.

Thro' many warlike ages,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Further....

quote:
U.S.
Girlfriend Of 'Stand Your Ground' Shooting Victim Says Gunman 'Was Picking A Fight'
HuffPost Hayley Miller,HuffPost 23 hours ago
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

The girlfriend of a Florida man who was shot dead during an altercation over a
The girlfriend of a Florida man who was shot dead during an altercation over a parking space last week says the gunman “wanted someone to be angry at.”

Britany Jacobs witnessed Michael Drejka, 47, gun down her boyfriend Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, in a convenience store parking lot in Clearwater on Thursday. Police, citing Florida’s “stand your ground” gun law that allows gun owners to use deadly force if they feel threatened, filed no charges.

Jacobs described the shooting and demanded justice in an interview Monday with ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“He was a good man,” Jacobs said of McGlockton. “All he was trying to do was just protect his family.”

The confrontation began when McGlockton left his car idling in a handicap space Thursday to run into the store to purchase snacks. Jacobs was waiting in the car with their two children when Drejka approached and began “harassing” her for parking in a handicap space without a permit, she said.

“He wanted somebody to be angry at,” Jacobs said. “He just wanted someone to fight him. He was picking a fight. I’m just sitting, waiting for my family to come back to the car.”

McGlockton, seeing the confrontation, shoved Drejka to the ground, according to Jacobs. That’s when Drejka, who is white, pulled a gun and shot McGlockton, who is black, in the chest, just a few feet from the car, Jacobs said.

“The guy is on the ground and he pulls the gun out,” Jacobs told ABC. “My dude steps back ’cause my dude is fearing for his life ― all of us were.”

McGlockton, wounded, stumbled into the store, where he collapsed. He was pronounced dead roughly 30 minutes later at a hospital.

Drejka told police he feared for his life, Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said Friday at a press conference, where surveillance video of the shooting was released.

Police, citing the “stand your ground” law, did not arrest Drejka. (More famously, George Zimmerman was acquitted for the shooting of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in a trial that provoked intense scrutiny of the law. While Zimmerman did not invoke “stand your ground” in his defense, the judge instructed the jury on the law, and it was cited by a juror after the trial as a factor in their deliberations.)

The sheriff’s office referred Drejka’s case to the state attorney’s office to determine whether he should be charged.

ABC reported that the owner of the convenience store, who was not named, has previously called the police to report Drejka for confronting customers over parking.

“I just want justice,” Jacobs told ABC. “I need something to be done because this is not right.”

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:
quote:

Oh I see, you're the guy I need to talk to if I want the right to have an opinion on that subject.

ya know, i'd be glad to do you that favor but i got other things to do today. like catfishing and putting some XX on ice. prioritys of greater import. but i'll keep ya in mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checking out the Youtube video, you can see the woman get out of the car as the shootee approaches. The shooter isn't even looking at him when he's blindsided and shoved to the ground.

Shooter pulls his gun and shootee is backing up when he double taps.

Prosecutor makes the call on this but I thought the threat had to be ongoing. The shootee was backing up when he was shot, not approaching.

And yes, there's no audio so no idea what anyone (including the gf) was saying during the incident.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This started off as "don't beat up on people".

This theme should be held highly regarded.

McG mighta been a good guy if he had turned his back or was shot in the back by Dre. No, he took a tentative step back, probabaly when he saw that he brought his fists to a gun fight. You saw McG take a step back. How many steps did he advance after the shove? Mc G, Turn, Run, or take ONE in the chest, not two.by the way. This would be a different story if McG was shot in the back. Try not to start it. Try not to push it. Try to leave it alone. BestAll

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess, being Canadian, shooting someone should be a last resort, not first response. Wink

Geizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonniemike:
This started off as "don't beat up on people".

This theme should be held highly regarded.

McG mighta been a good guy if he had turned his back or was shot in the back by Dre. No, he took a tentative step back, probabaly when he saw that he brought his fists to a gun fight. You saw McG take a step back. How many steps did he advance after the shove? Mc G, Turn, Run, or take ONE in the chest, not two.by the way. This would be a different story if McG was shot in the back. Try not to start it. Try not to push it. Try to leave it alone. BestAll

The shooter was looking for a fight, plain and simple. Shooting someone that is retreating backwards is no different than shooting someone in the back. This is the kind of crap that will get the castle doctrine and stand your ground laws repealed.

Thro' many warlike ages,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
I guess, being Canadian, shooting someone should be a last resort, not first response. Wink

Geizz

Well, if all the obnoxious people got shot, we'd be a more polite, albeit smaller, society.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
First, I'll state that I'm an advocate of personal defense, concealed carry, and the concept of stand your ground / castle doctrine.

That said, I don't see how the shooter in this case wasn't charged. Murder / Manslaughter? I don't know the exact statutes so I can't say as to specific charges. But it's pretty clear to me the intent of self defense law, at least in terms of using deadly force, was not adhered to in this case.

The shove to the ground is obviously assault/battery. IF the shover had continued advancing on the shooter AFTER the weapon was presented, I think the shooting would be justified, even though some level of responsibility for the altercation lies with the shooter for starting it in the first place.

When I viewed the video, it appears to me the guy who got shot took more than one step back once the gun was presented. The training I've undergone to become licensed to carry has focused on using the least force necessary to STOP the threat. It's never about winning the altercation, but rather STOPPING the threat. Scenarios reviewed include, assuming time and conditions permit, yelling "Stop, I have a gun". Other conditions may be more appropriate to present the weapon, but only with the intent of using it. But once the threat is STOPPED, one must de-escalate immediately. In other words, if you yell "stop, I've got a gun" and the attacker backs off, you can't legally shoot him. If you present the weapon and the attacker backs off, you can't legally shoot him. You can only use deadly force when the threat continues.

Of course, this is armchair quarterbacking to some extent as we don't know the verbal cues given by either guy but it sure seems to me that when the shootee backed up upon seeing the gun, and then took at least one more step back, possibly two, the threat had been effectively STOPPED at that point, at least momentarily.

There is a "self defense" video circulating of an older gentleman chasing a couple of thugs out of a building (barber shop maybe) firing the entire time. I don't see how that fellow avoided charges as well as once the perp retreats, especially retreats out of the building, I don't believe the self defense law or castle doctrine allows for chasing them down the street to finish the fight ... in other words, once they start running and leave the building, the threat is STOPPED.

If I'm wrong on this, let me know as I don't claim to be an expert. Never been an LEO. But I made up my mind long ago, back when I first applied for my carry license, that there are very specific and limited times I will use deadly force. That's based on criminal, civil, and in fact, moral considerations. Those specific times are any time I, my wife, my kids, or a family member is threatened with physical violence that cannot be otherwise immediately STOPPED. The law in Texas allows for using deadly force to protect property as well but I'd rather replace possessions than loose my liberty or my estate through civil lawsuits over shooting a guy to prevent my TV or Car being stolen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
First, I'll state that I'm an advocate of personal defense, concealed carry, and the concept of stand your ground / castle doctrine.

That said, I don't see how the shooter in this case wasn't charged. Murder / Manslaughter? I don't know the exact statutes so I can't say as to specific charges. But it's pretty clear to me the intent of self defense law, at least in terms of using deadly force, was not adhered to in this case.

The shove to the ground is obviously assault/battery. IF the shover had continued advancing on the shooter AFTER the weapon was presented, I think the shooting would be justified, even though some level of responsibility for the altercation lies with the shooter for starting it in the first place.

When I viewed the video, it appears to me the guy who got shot took more than one step back once the gun was presented. The training I've undergone to become licensed to carry has focused on using the least force necessary to STOP the threat. It's never about winning the altercation, but rather STOPPING the threat. Scenarios reviewed include, assuming time and conditions permit, yelling "Stop, I have a gun". Other conditions may be more appropriate to present the weapon, but only with the intent of using it. But once the threat is STOPPED, one must de-escalate immediately. In other words, if you yell "stop, I've got a gun" and the attacker backs off, you can't legally shoot him. If you present the weapon and the attacker backs off, you can't legally shoot him. You can only use deadly force when the threat continues.

Of course, this is armchair quarterbacking to some extent as we don't know the verbal cues given by either guy but it sure seems to me that when the shootee backed up upon seeing the gun, and then took at least one more step back, possibly two, the threat had been effectively STOPPED at that point, at least momentarily.

There is a "self defense" video circulating of an older gentleman chasing a couple of thugs out of a building (barber shop maybe) firing the entire time. I don't see how that fellow avoided charges as well as once the perp retreats, especially retreats out of the building, I don't believe the self defense law or castle doctrine allows for chasing them down the street to finish the fight ... in other words, once they start running and leave the building, the threat is STOPPED.

If I'm wrong on this, let me know as I don't claim to be an expert. Never been an LEO. But I made up my mind long ago, back when I first applied for my carry license, that there are very specific and limited times I will use deadly force. That's based on criminal, civil, and in fact, moral considerations. Those specific times are any time I, my wife, my kids, or a family member is threatened with physical violence that cannot be otherwise immediately STOPPED. The law in Texas allows for using deadly force to protect property as well but I'd rather replace possessions than loose my liberty or my estate through civil lawsuits over shooting a guy to prevent my TV or Car being stolen.

I hate deviations from common law -common law has a very solid evolutionary foundation.

Stand your ground is stupid especially in a public setting.

Way too many mall cop wannabes.

If you want to enforce the law do it on your property at least.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stand your ground is stupid especially in a public setting.

Now defunct, one of the many Texas constitutions defined self defense as "having to retreat no further than the air at your back". Seems right to me.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Sounds right to me.

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the evidence presented here, my experience and training tells me this shooting is unjustified. When the shooter presented his pistol the perp ceased his assault and retreated. The shooter was free to disengage to make a future complaint to the proper authorities.
In the heat of the moment clear thinking is difficult, and reliance on proper training a better resource. Training does fail from time unfortunately, as we have seen all to often, but clarity of thought during times of intense stress is a rare bird indeed. A decision to carry should not be taken lightly and much forethought with a good dose of training should proceed the decision. This man is guilty of voluntary manslaughter in my estimation.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Titusville a criminal idiot opened fire on a family event and peace rally.

A concealed weapons holder shot him in the head. tu2

https://www.floridatoday.com/s...lle-rally/910659002/

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drejka was charged with manslaughter today. Should be an interesting trial.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not surprised.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't even close.

You don't shoot people who shove you to the ground and then back off.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further:

quote:
A Florida man who invoked the state’s controversial “stand your ground” law last month to defend fatally shooting a 28-year-old father of three following an altercation over a parking space has been charged with manslaughter.

Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested Monday after the state attorney’s office for Pinellas and Pasco counties filed the criminal charge against him for killing Markeis McGlockton in a convenience store parking lot in Clearwater.

Police had originally decided not to arrest Drejka, citing Florida’s stand-your-ground law, which allows gun owners to use deadly force if they feel they are facing “imminent death or great bodily harm.” The case was then referred to state prosecutors to decide whether charges would be brought.

“This is exactly what I wanted,“ McGlockton’s father Michael told reporters on Monday. “This is exactly what me and my family wanted was to get this guy behind bars.”

Surveillance video captured Drejka firing his weapon at McGlockton outside the convenience store on July 19.

The dispute began after McGlockton left his car idling in a handicap space while he ran into the store to purchase snacks, his girlfriend Britany Jacobs told ABC’s “Good Morning America.” Jacobs was waiting in the car with their two children when Drejka approached and began “harassing” her for parking in a handicap spot without a permit, she said. McGlockton came over and shoved Drejka to the ground, according to Jacobs. That’s when Drejka, still on the ground, shot McGlockton in the chest, she said.

McGlockton was pronounced dead at a hospital 30 minutes later.

“He wanted somebody to be angry at,” Jacobs said of Drejka. “He just wanted someone to fight him. He was picking a fight.

ABC reported that the owner of the convenience store, who was not named, has previously called the police to report Drejka for confronting customers over parking spaces.

The stand-your-ground law, which Florida adopted in 2005, drew intense scrutiny after the 2013 acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Though Zimmerman did not invoke the statute in his defense, the judge instructed the jury on the law, and it was cited by a juror after the trial as a factor in the jury’s deliberations.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the gun show in Orlando today and someone was selling badages and flip leather leather cases with concealed weapons holder like a police Id.

Stupidity has no shortage.

Mike