THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Media And Publications    Hunting Book, DVD and Safari Gear purchases per month
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Book, DVD and Safari Gear purchases per month
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good evening,

For a long time I have had an ebay store selling various hunting and fishing gear. We have downsized it and haven't really sold anything in a while.

I am thinking about launching a website as a side business to my working job selling safari gear, hunting books and DVDs and some other hard to find outdoor gear.

Please post any items that you'd like to have that are expensive or not readily available.

Question:
How many hunting DVDs or books do you buy per year?

Choices:
Less than 5
5-15
15-25
More than 25

Question:
How much do you spend on those purchases per year?

Choices:
Less than $50
50-100
100-500
500-1500
Over 1500 per year

Question:
What types of DVDs are you interested in?

Choices:
African big five
African plains game
Asian Hunts
Euroopean Hunts
Australia or/and New Zealand Hunts
American Hunts
All of the above
I am not interested in DVDs
South American hunts

Question:
What other African safari items are you interested in?

Choices:
Knives
Backpacks & guncases
Safari clothing
Hats
Custom safari-oriented T-shirts
Ammunition
Blaser, Krieghoff, Mauser or Sauer gunparts
all of the above
none of the above

Question:
What other items are you looking for?

Choices:
I am not interested in anything else
I replied below

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for the leather slip on gaiters. I have tried the canvas ones from Boyt and they are not well done. I have some from Outdoor Research but they are not as good as the leather ones.

Also, a shell holding belt that is not too big. I carry 10 to 15 rounds of .375 HH, and a knife/leatherman and a small flashlight.

Also, a sturdy canvas bag to leave in the truck big enough for extra camera, ammo, batteries, gum and stuff.

Also, a good bino harness where the clips stay clipped.

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to my own personal interest in such things, I would think you could do well with a line of African camping gear.

I'm not thinking of the expensive stuff like the expedition camp furniture, but rather the gear that South Africans use(potjies, etc.)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about potjies as well, I am not sure about getting into that. The problem with them is they are so heavy and they have to be fairly expensive just based on what it cost to get them here.

The Aussies and South Africans really have nice truck camping gear that is well suited to their enviroment.

I have used my big Aussie tent in the Yukon in July and it worked ok, but we didn't get rained on.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am looking for the leather slip on gaiters. I have tried the canvas ones from Boyt and they are not well done. I have some from Outdoor Research but they are not as good as the leather ones.

Also, a shell holding belt that is not too big. I carry 10 to 15 rounds of .375 HH, and a knife/leatherman and a small flashlight.

Also, a sturdy canvas bag to leave in the truck big enough for extra camera, ammo, batteries, gum and stuff.

Also, a good bino harness where the clips stay clipped.

Ross we will eventually get to it. I am working with a guy locally to do some rifle ammo pouches out of another material. Building them out of leather isn't ideal.

As for the gaiters that is not a problem. Send me a pm with what you want drawn out, and your leg measurements, and I'll get them done. I have a ton of elephant grey (the color, not actual elephant hide) leather that is the right weight for gaiters. We can do a test run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Due to my own personal interest in such things, I would think you could do well with a line of African camping gear.I'm not thinking of the expensive stuff like the expedition camp furniture, but rather the gear that South Africans use(potjies, etc.)

I'd be interested in decent, but not world-class, wood camp furniture.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
quote:
Due to my own personal interest in such things, I would think you could do well with a line of African camping gear.I'm not thinking of the expensive stuff like the expedition camp furniture, but rather the gear that South Africans use(potjies, etc.)

I'd be interested in decent, but not world-class, wood camp furniture.

I'll work on that idea as well.

There are things I can manufacture and make a enough of a profit on to keep the lights on, I believe that would be one of them. Campaign furniture is all kind of outrageous prices.

I'd use oak and good quality canvas or cordura 1000.

This nonsense of using teak and cheap canvas is crazy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAG has some leather gaiters if that's what you want.

Like the poike idea. Great pots.

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post