New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chris Dorsey new Coffee Table Book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first time I attended a DSC convention in 2018 I literally bumped into Wayne Van Zwoll somewhere in the factory rifles zone. Recognising him instantly I said Hi and that I always enjoyed reading his magazine articles ( truthfully ). He gave me a big smile and stuck out his hand. We chatted casually for 5 minutes or so. He kind of fixes you in an attentive gaze without indication of having his mind on different things. A big picture view and straight talker speaking from experience. I liked him through his writing and my meeting only reinforced this feeling.
At the same show I passed Craig Boddington's booth. He was there, I said Hi and was about to enquire about one of his books. A few secods later Mike Simpson ( Conroe Taxidermy ? ) just happened to pass by. Obviously he and Craig are good mates. Without a seconds hesitation or comment Craig just walked off leaving me standing. He didn't care at all.
It didn't bother me at all. I can take or leave Boddington although I think him well qualified to publish what he does and have read a lot of his magazine stuff, even picking up some useful pointers.
Just different strokes for different folks. I would enjoy meeting Wayne again. Meeting Boddington again would be nothing special. Boddington's personality doesn't seem to have rubbed off onto Brittany. I volunteered at this years DSC show and helped her team move gear into their booth. She was hobbling around in a leg cast. Talked to her a bit. Very engaging, charming and a bright young lady. I was impressed.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1986 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur on Brit, she's pretty special.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the theory that if I see someone famous, I don't really care anymore as the odds are high that I won't like them.

Isn't there a rule of thumb about never meeting your hero's (though that is a huge stretch of the word) as they won't be anymore?

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted 30 December 2020 22:46
I am of the theory that if I see someone famous, I don't really care anymore as the odds are high that I won't like them.

Isn't there a rule of thumb about never meeting your hero's (though that is a huge stretch of the word) as they won't be anymore?

I don't think so. Could work either way. Of the few famous people I've met some I liked more ( like Wayne Van Zwoll, Buzz Charlton and Saeed ), others much less. The best famous people stay pretty grounded and maintain common courtesies, like ordinary people. Even with people I dislike I don't allow myself to hate. It's good to keep an open mind, accept the diversity of personalities out there and just associate with those you can relate to.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1986 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eh,

More of a matter of not caring. I am a pretty positive guy all the time, I just don't see the point of getting excited about them.

Still get excited about a pretty face though.

Everyone around here has been wearing a face mask since March at work. We have had a lot of new employees (we have about 8000 total) come on, and you see new people but you never see their face.

Last week I was on a walking to the truck and a gal I didn't know yelled out to me "hey Seth" and walked over and talked to me by my truck. I had no idea she was so beautiful, as I had only seen her with a mask. I would say I was kind of star struck for that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last week I was on a walking to the truck and a gal I didn't know yelled out to me "hey Seth" and walked over and talked to me by my truck. I had no idea she was so beautiful, as I had only seen her with a mask. I would say I was kind of star struck for that one.

Big Grin tu2

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have my own stories about many mentioned above but right now I will just say Carlos Hathcock spent about 30 minutes with me on the phone - just looked up his number and called out of the blue. I remember stating the Apache woman must have been a real bitch and it must have been good killing her. He just replied, "yeah."

DAMN what a phone call and bringing up Apache. He is an american legend and was a hell of a nice guy
as you mentioned. I was fortunate to pick his brain for a few hours a couple of times. RIP GUNNY

Posts: 457 | Registered: 12 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Now, my Wife hated Shockey. Found him to be a complete smart ass. I was not there.

“Sweatheart, he is just Canadian.” His daughter was also in labor that day. Wife does not care. “You will never book with that man.” Was not planning on it, but yes mam.

I have to jump in and say a positive word, or three, for Shockey.

I spent some time with Cam Greig and he knew Jim well and spoke highly of him.

A guide I know guided Jim and told me that he was one of the nicest and most fun hunters he ever had the pleasure to hunt with.

But the one that truly makes me believe that Jim Shockey is in fact a good dude was what the trackers in Cameroon had to say about him. When I mentioned his name to Daniel Sodiea his eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "Jim Shoooky?! Oh, yes! He is a great man! He is a great hunter and a great man!"

Daniel had spent about two weeks hunting in rough conditions in the rainforest with Jim, so it is safe to say that he got to see the real man behind the public persona. His enthusiastic endorsement told me all that I need to know. Anyone can put on a good show for a guide or outfitter, but if the trackers say that you are a good dude then it is a safe bet that you are.

It's too bad that his interaction with your wife didn't go as well.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I was not there. We all have good days or moments and bad. I had one Friday.
Also, it does not take a bad day for personalities to just be wrong.

I also realize whatever the exchange was, was being impressed upon by his daughter being in labor.

I also know my wife does not suffer sarcasm or jokes (good natured or otherwise) by strangers. She is very quite and serious turn. Also, soft hearted. I am willing to bet to personalities that just clashed. Watching his show he does appear to like to use sarcasm and rib as a form of conversation starter. Does not bother me.

I am not implying nor should one infer anything inappropriate with a wife and absentee husband on Jim Shockey’s part. If I needed to, I would say so. When my Wife told me she had a bad experience. I did not think that was a possibility bc she would have told me and would of had a completely different reaction.

Whatever or however my wife did not appreciate him on that day.

I am glad to hear your report of folks you know interactions with Jim Shockey.

I will say for myself one person’s hero is another person’s heel, and we all most of the time only get to make one first impression. When your business is predicated on selling off that first impression the nub can get worn. I know I get short.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Biebs after I finished a hunt and he was headed to the same camp.
He was personable and seemed like a nice guy despite his reputation.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post