New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tahr/ chamois outfitter
 Login/Join

posted
Hello!

This is my first post here on Ar, need some advice regarding hunting outfitters in New Zealand.
Me and my girlfriend are planning a 3-4 weeks holiday I New Zealand in April/May/June in 2021, the plan is to rent a motorhome/sleeper van and then drive from north to south or the other way around and do sightseeing along the way.

I do a lot of hunting back home in Norway and usually do at least 1 hunting trip to Europe each year, and I’m thinking i should take the possibility of doing a hunt when I’m in New Zealand.
I’m most interested in Tahr hunting but if it’s possible to combine it with chamois that would be great. Planning to use maximum 6 days for the hunting, and my girlfriend wants to join my for the hunt. As she is also a hunter she might want to take either a tahr or a chamois for herself.

So we need tips/advice on outfitters that have a good reputation and fair chase/free range hunts, that we can contact about our trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How old and how fit are you? I ask because it makes a huge difference on which outfitter and style you should choose.
6 days for a true free range fair chase is the minimum time for Tahr, but more doable for Chamois depending on what quality trophy you are after.
For a true alpine wilderness hunt then this guy is worth talking too, but only if you are capable of mountain travel.
https://hardyardshunting.co.nz

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’m 31 years old and my physical shape is decent. If my girlfriend is joining me for the hunt I would like to have a cabin based hunt not spiking out with tents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I haven't yet hunted with Joseph, I concur with shank's recommendation and plan on hunting with him soon. I understand he is highly regarded by his Australian clients.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Gerald Telford is a member on AR
https://flyfishhunt.co.nz

Tom Jones

https://www.tomjonestrophyhunting.com/

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You can also do self guided in New Zealand.

I had friends that did it in 2013, and were fairly successful.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Do your homework. Gerald Telford has a good reputation. I hunted with him 20 years ago. Shanks has a LOT of experience and so I would trust his recommendation.'

There are a few others with a good name and a few who are not so good.

Be careful of penned up animals that are sold at ridiculous prices.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for a proper Tahr hunt, on foot, no helicopters involved and no pen raised “paddock” trophies then you should check out Fraser Cooper. Avon Valley Safaris.
fraser@avonvalleysafaris.co .nz

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good advice/tips!!
will check out all of them, but it seems that Joseph Peter of hard Yards Hunting is the right guy for a proper hunt, got a few pm about him and his company and all are very positive.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeman:
If you’re looking for a proper Tahr hunt, on foot, no helicopters involved and no pen raised “paddock” trophies then you should check out Fraser Cooper. Avon Valley Safaris.

The gallery on the AVS`s website suggests otherwise,with the usual NZ monstrosities shown.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

The gallery on the AVS`s website suggests otherwise,with the usual NZ monstrosities shown.

I suspect you’re talking about Red stags ?
Limited off take of wild stags available every year but booked out well in advance.
I understood the enquiry was about Tahr ?
Did I miss something or are you just off topic ?

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I`m on topic and just like many others I get the flashing light when I see monstrosities and when other game is mentioned on the same page the lights flash harder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I`m on topic and just like many others I get the flashing light when I see monstrosities and when other game is mentioned on the same page the lights flash harder.

I know where you’re coming from. It’s a sad fact of the international hunting business that you have to be able to offer those unnatural monsters in order to attract enough clients to earn a living. Interestingly, the majority of my Euro friends who come to NZ to hunt steadfastly refuse to have anything to do with anything but absolute free range opportunities.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interestingly, the majority of my Euro friends who come to NZ to hunt steadfastly refuse to have anything to do with anything but absolute free range opportunities.

I must know the same people.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know where you’re coming from. It’s a sad fact of the international hunting business that you have to be able to offer those unnatural monsters in order to attract enough clients to earn a living. Interestingly, the majority of my Euro friends who come to NZ to hunt steadfastly refuse to have anything to do with anything but absolute free range opportunities.

The big heads would be bred and grown without demand to shoot them by overseas hunters.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote