Find
Notify
Tools

Chatham Island
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted
Im heading to the Chatham's in late October, be a shame not to chase a Ram around while I'm there. Anyone been?, is Pitt Is better than Main Is for Rams.
Basically I need transport and access,the rest I think I can DIY.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Do they have wild cattle?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
the Pitt Island rams are the black ones. You need to contact the guys on Pitt who run the motel/homestay there - they run a hunting and fishing business from Pitt. Theres a pretty much daily small plane ride out to Pitt .
There are vastly better Pitt Island rams here in NZ = Pitt Island is not very big so continued hunting for the biggest rams means the biggest rams actually get smaller as time advances. be worth the experience though.
If you are going to the Chathams you need to arrange accomodation and a rental vehicle before you leave. Accomodation is limited and expensive , and rental vehicles are very expensive. There is only about ten kms of sealed road ( sealed between the potholes ) on Chatham , the rest of the roads are gravel and range from pretty good to pretty awful. The fishing is fantastic , the crayfish are magnificent , the shellfish are tremendous. Its definately a place you should go if you have the opportunity

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a cool place to visit! not so many get there, want to myself one day.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Was there in February , had local contacts for accomodation and transport. Without that its a hard place to visit unless you pay for everything - which is very expensive

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Scroll down,they have hunting tours.

http://www.hotelchatham.co.nz/...ge+tours_pid_11.html

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Does a New Zealand temporary gun permit cover you on the Chatham islands?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yes Frank . Same rules apply for flying with firearms - I did have to open my gun case for inspection prior to the flight home , but just checked in for flight to the island.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
These guys do hunting on Pitt Island

http://www.discoverthechathami...d-wild-sheep-hunting

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
heres a youtube video of fishing in the Chathams. Not much of worthy viewing on hunting

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it looks like an interesting spot to visit.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
the Pitt Island rams are the black ones. You need to contact the guys on Pitt who run the motel/homestay there - they run a hunting and fishing business from Pitt. Theres a pretty much daily small plane ride out to Pitt .
There are vastly better Pitt Island rams here in NZ = Pitt Island is not very big so continued hunting for the biggest rams means the biggest rams actually get smaller as time advances. be worth the experience though.
If you are going to the Chathams you need to arrange accomodation and a rental vehicle before you leave. Accomodation is limited and expensive , and rental vehicles are very expensive. There is only about ten kms of sealed road ( sealed between the potholes ) on Chatham , the rest of the roads are gravel and range from pretty good to pretty awful. The fishing is fantastic , the crayfish are magnificent , the shellfish are tremendous. Its definately a place you should go if you have the opportunity

I note your comment about better Rams on the mainland.
Any tips on where to look or who to talk to about a hunt, preferably one that doesn't drain my KiwiSaver !!!

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
any of the NZ hunting outfitters will likely do sheep hunts , although they may be for Arapawa or crossbred ( but still basically merino )rams . There seriously is no shortage of black merino rams , specially in the South island

Heres a selection of hunts on offer

https://www.google.co.nz/searc...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I love hunting Wild Rams in the off season, hunted Pit & Chathams in the Old days to, when they was wild Bulls about !

This is a 50in Ram from the Main land !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of a Ram!

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Eeker tu2

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
That is a beast - but I very much doubt you will see one like that in the Chathams today.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yes, thats a nice Ram & I have never seen any other that size, even on Pitt or Chathams, maybe 10-15in shorter !

I did note that the White Rams have larger horns over all on Pitt .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote