Notify
Tools

223 WSSM - an opinion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
Hi all,

I put the following post under "Small calibres and got very little reaction - anyone on Oz got any opinions?

Thanks

quote:
Hi all, I was perusing the stock in my local LGS today, when my eye was attracted to what looked like a Win M70 Featherweight.

I demanded to see it in Braille (with my hands as one does) and it turned out to be practically NIB. Not a mark I could find. New Haven manuf, pre '64 style. And it sure feels good and looks right purty.

I found out why when I checked the calibre .223 WSFU - for those not in the know Winchester Short Fat Ugly aka WSSM.

I played coy and the man made me an offer $550 for it with the bases and rings, RCBS dies, 2 boxes of ammo, and about 40 cases.

A quick glance in the Nosler manual shows that I can get 60 gr bullets up to about 3,650 fps and 50 grainers to within touching distance of 4,000 fps, using Aussie powders.

Now, my question is

a) do I really want it? It seems like a bargain, but ....

b) what is the twist rate on the barrel and will it stabilise 60 grainers?

c) with that toothpick barrel, will I be able to fire more than, say, 3 shots before it melts? Not quite a serious question, but anyone able to comment on accuracy and consistency?

Thanks in advance

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much too short and fat. Has to feed roughly. Will not last as a viable cartridge. Stick with the good ole 223 rem.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I havent heard anything good about the way WSSM cartridges feed into the chamber. The shape of the case is not conducive to smooth chambering , and jamming is not uncommon amongst those users I have talked to.

I would stick with a "regular" configured case , like the 223 , which is a known performer.

If you want the velocity - get a 22-250 or be bold and go for the 220 Swift.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a win mod 70 feather weight stainless in 243 wssm.It is a great little accurate fire arm that I have enjoyed immensely. Every load I have tried shoots sub MOA, something I could never achieve with a Ruger #1 with A midweight barrel in 22-250. The Ruger was a beautiful gun with gorgeous wood, but I personally could not get it to shoot. My luck with Rugers is terrible, but the little Winchester is A real treat.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
For many years I could not even stand the shape of the 243 Win but have since bought a 270WSM and am amazed at the power that can be got out of such a small case.

So, maybe short and fat really is where it's at, velocity-wise at least. Since it's not a dangerous-game rifle, you might chance the loading aspect.

The cartridge will probably go extinct like most of the other WSMs but, if you can get the rifle cheap enough, you can stock up on cartridges and cases.

Then you only need to worry about barrel life.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - it comes with about 40 factory rounds and the same in cases. Cases should NOT be a problem, since the Hornady manual says they formed theirs from 300 WSM.

They also said that the test rifle showed SIGNIFICANT throat erosion after 350 rounds.

It comes with rings and bases and dies as well - and the Hornady manual has good (fast) loads for AR2206H, AR2208 and AR2209.

I sorta think that after about 5 rounds, that barrel is gonna look like a light sabre (from Start Wars), though. Smiler

If only it was a more mainstream calibre - but if it was it'd be sold and at a higher price.

What to do ......

And Sambarman, if it eats barrels like I suspect, I may not even need the reloading dies, coz it'll be shot out after the factory rounds. Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Send me a PM

cases are a problem and you wont be able to successfully make the brass from the bigger WSM case its too much, Winchester Australia has about 7 or 8 thousand cases left in 243 WSSM and then I don't like your chances

I've been building 458's on them,NO I don't neck up, The Guns are awesome pumpkin throwers, has about the capacity of the 30-06 and with 250 and 300g projectiles are vey very capable and fast shooting guns

300grainer at 2400fps and 250grains at 2600

My gunsmith has my reamer, and if you can get a nice short 20 inch 458 barrel we can build it

Calibre is called the 458 JCE

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I friend had a Model 70 in 223 WSSM. Couldn't wait to send it down the road after trying to get the thing to feed. Sent it back to Winchester and when it was returned he still had feeding problems. Ballistics are impressive, but there's a reason they sell cheap on the used gun market.

Get a .223 or a 22/250 instead.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer S&F, but I don't think I want to go that route.

Thanks to everyone else, I reckon it's just not the sort of calibre I want, even though the rifle is really nice.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The throat erosion was minimized as both Winchester and Browning chrome line the barrels.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote