Notify
Tools

Some nice Fallow here
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vegetation all gone and rock and mud and ice feet thick over it.

In two years it will be a favourite place as new growth sets foot eh.
Those a re great palms mate,to get to that size he has already left his mark on the world,don`t sweat it,just wait for his lads to grow and reap the benefits.
Over here its the meat industry driving the shooting of the shit out of the deer herds from big stags to little calves,they are all fair game for the bullet.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep exactly! Thats probably such a popular little spot. Always getting refreshed with new growth.

Yep that was my consolation too. And now can see a few young bucks with his form about.
Gets tough sometimes though. Had one at 10 meters while hunting with my longbow. probably about 180-200 ds. Was bloody tempted as don't get that close too often.

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Had one at 10 meters while hunting with my longbow. probably about 180-200 ds. Was bloody tempted as don't get that close too often.

My opinion on that is "let fly" for experience and then be picky later on.
The deer I saw yesterday have got me thinking of another foray this morning so in half an hour i will head of for another look. I would love to get some video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome Gryph. best of luck!

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody nice Red Stag Shanks. Incredible bottom tines. Would be nice to see him again fully grown out and to see just how good his tops are.
Amazing he hasn't already been taken during the Roar somewhere.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Saw seven Sambar Shanks,videoed one hind and on returning home I found a couple of mature WT eagles that was on par with seeing deer.
I got the LR pics then slowly went through the cattle for a better angle,light was breaking behind but not on them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your cattle are in great nick too Gryph! Plenty of grass about to hide those horrible squirmers though.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Three months ago you couldnt have said the same Shanks,they had a very hard cold an lean old winter here but have picked up well.
Sent the bulls off this week.....they just piss me off do bulls. Quiet bulls,no malice but they just fight through fences when they want to whether hot wired or not.
One of your Brown mates is about I have seen twice over the last week...SHE found a freshly shed Brown skin 3 m`s from the lounge door too. Browns,Tigers,Blacks and Copperheads are what we need to keep our eyes open for.
Best you and K come in winter lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Winter sounds good. Too fkn hot and too many flies in summer anyway. You'd be yelling at me the whole time for leaving the door open. Big Grin

Been talking with another mate in NSW with a farm. Shit it looked bad over that winter. You poor buggers it must have been hard.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd be yelling at me the whole time for leaving the door open.

A lot of people just dont realise that my dogs eat some of the worst crap out and when they make a deposit on the lawn Australia's famous blow flies love to walk all over that fresh dog crap and when the door is left open they come inside and puddle around on my butter on the bench...shut the fkn door ffs!

There actually is a good reason ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha, yeah I know. Just recalling good old days.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Australia - an insect lovers paradise , an insect haters hell.

I reckon an beekeepers suit is what you need to live there....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Those f@#king ants that still think they are wasps.

It is also a bird and animal paradise. Love the shear difference in geology, animal and plant life between such close countries.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
They piss me off also Muzza. Summer`s snakes,ants x 2 species,wasps,flies by ? species...all over here. The ants are tolerable,the flies are not.
With the arrival of the dung beetles in Nov?Dec the summer black flies go from millions to only a few,its unreal how the d/beetle`s influences fly life here. A boon to the African plains as well of course.

But come deer hunting season the pests are all gone,bliss!

It is also a bird and animal paradise.

Don`t forget the sheilas Shanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean like that one that abused us for parking our 4wd next to her at the supermarket?

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
shit i cannot remember that one mate,refresh me please and if its too sensitive PM it please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My First hour in Aus, we pulled into a supermarket and next thing there is a full on barney going with woman in car next to us because we parked your ute next to her- swearing and all telling you to park elsewhere. then she stormed off to get her brothers.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I have no recollection whatsoever of it mate ha ha ,true. Was I nice to her?

Anyway what was wrong with how we were parked? I really dont remember?

A shame I didnt have one of these hanging off the back to really piss her off ha ha.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong, she just didnt like it. There was some pretty colourful language flowing back her way and justifiably. And I was siting there thinking, shit, they are convicts after all. jumping

Nice dog Imagine that would set a few off all right.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There is some pretty ladies in Oz - unfortunately when they open their gobs they ruin the image .

Did anyone mention crows ? If I lived there I would be a crow exterminator ...

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I lived there I would be a crow exterminator ...

The four species of Ravens are protected here in many parts Muzza. Before you put pics up on FB posing with the shattered remains with your .220 Swift check the rules lol.

Crows and ravens are native animals and are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. It is illegal to trap or bait them or disturb their nests when they are raising young.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of interest Gryph, do you guys class magpies as a crow? or seperate?

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Totally different mate and they are a totally different bird in habits and food choices also.

Crows readily scavenge carrion,magpies eat fresh meat but not carrion.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
They just drive me to distraction. I guess you would get used to them , ignore them , after a year or two but I have never spent that much time in OZ in one hit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was the freaking cockatoos that screech and swak above you as you are trying to be unnoticeable and sneaky stalking through the bush. I got a good photo of a sambar stag and hes actually standing there looking for me, as the cockatoos were letting everything know I was around. As bad as parries!

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
well come on lad show us the pic then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will remember it Gryph. The second Stag with the extra width.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes and a great example of a steady ship in taking a photo of a game animal and then taking the animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look how those ears are focused in. He knew something was up all right. Had those black cockatoos above me. I remember trying to decide whether i should shoot him or not, and that width decided it for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
muzza
posted 06 December 2020 19:15
They just drive me to distraction. I guess you would get used to them , ignore them , after a year or two but I have never spent that much time in OZ in one hit.

Gryph,
Apologies for this thread hijack, but a question regarding Magpies on your side of the ditch.
Is this allowed as a suitable condition for Magpies, or frowned upon and / or disallowed ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we have all hijacked Bakes thread. Hope you dont mind Bakes?

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Native species in Australia that can be shot, with the correct permits after taking a shooting test: red and grey kangaroos

Native species in Australia that are not allowed to be shot: all others

I think you can hunt ducks in the Northern Territory, and some states allow for some of the wallabies to be shot, but that's it.

In NSW, Victoria and Queensland you could hunt anything that began with the word feral, at least when I lived in Canberra 2010-2013.

Was kind of a shocker for me, as we got there and I instantly had problems with brushy tailed possums living in the attic, so I ordered a box trap from the states only to find that I could only move the stupid things 100 yards or so, and they could not be shot.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
only to find that I could only move the stupid things 100 yards or so

I have heard that many die in transit.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I never trapped one. WE just got used to their party noises.

They are some loud drunk little bastards.

If I saw one on the road I made sure to run it over.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote