New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off topic Breaker Morant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of my favorite movies is "Breaker Morant." How well known, and thought of is he in Australia? Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
People these days wouldn't even know of him. I doubt kids these days would know about the Boar war.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
What about the Boer war Bakes?

That one as well TP dancing

Sorry for jumping on your post TP. I hit the edit button instead of quote Wink

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
What about the Boer war Bakes?

Don't be a bore James.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Don't say that to Hendrik Frank sofa

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Like Ned Kelly, he tends to be a divisive character, but possibly not well known to younger people who haven't seen the movie.

To some eyes he was a free spirit who did what he had to do and was victimised by hypocritical commanders. To others he was a war criminal who killed innocent civilians.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Like Ned Kelly, he tends to be a divisive character, but possibly not well known to younger people who haven't seen the movie.

To some eyes he was a free spirit who did what he had to do and was victimised by hypocritical commanders. To others he was a war criminal who killed innocent civilians.

Unlike the British? Who invented concentration camps and killed many civilians in the Boer wars.....

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he were a German soldier shooting prisoners in WW2, I reckon a lot of Australians would take a dimmer view.

I read an account of an RAAF airman who snapped a little German girl's neck when she played too close to where he was hiding in the forest after escaping. His mates were horrified. He got killed some days or weeks later, so I guess his name's on the Honour Wall.

Proud to be Australian, love my country, but being born here doesn't automatically make you a Saint.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Harry Morant was a POM I believe.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally Bakes. Was a drover here IIRC when he signed up.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a murderous pom whose trial was used for political ends by Australians at the time.

Anyone is automatically claimed as an Australian if a; you get famous b; they have a use for you.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Phar Lap, Russel Crowe....

DRSS

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You can have Russel Crowe back Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
no - he is yours for keeps now

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote