THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Anyone have a relatively simple plan for wooden shooting table?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a relatively simple plan for wooden shooting table?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to build one for using on back porch of house we're moving into. I can build sturdy but don't expect the same results as a concrete/ steel bench. Any guidance would be appreciated. I've looked on net and found some general dimensions that look like they would work, just looking for someone's experience along these lines. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I built the wood one that is in Jim Carmichel's book entitled Do It Yourself Gunsmithing. There is a nice set of plans and a Bill of Materials, a set of directions, and a few photographs of a completed bench. There is also a set of directions for building a concrete one if somebody is so inclined.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you have figured it out, but I have Carmichel's workbench copy of his book that he gave me. I would be happy to loan it to you if you like.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My second one of these, preserved wood next time. Wink Hard to see, but mounted on 2x6 skids.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get some Rugged Buddy legs and simply add the plywood top of your choice. Since the legs collapse, it is also moveable.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I made 2 of these. One for the indoor range for 22 rifles( barely fits in the booth :-) and the second one to use as a workbench. They work very well.

quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Get some Rugged Buddy legs and simply add the plywood top of your choice. Since the legs collapse, it is also moveable.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Attached are a couple pictures of my bench at my property in TX. Nothing fancy, but its sturdy and works. The upper section is removable. Made it to develop double rifle loads, but since I put it up there, it has never come down. I now do all my bench shooting standing. 4x4 base and legs with cement in the base. I shoot left handed, my boys shoot right handed, so it is built to accommodate either.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member