New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22RFBR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I find trying to get these little guns to shoot a fascinating subject, and I like shooting .22rf's.

These guys are really pushing what you can acheive with such a combination of rifle and bullet.

Anyone else into this type of BR shooting?

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jools there are several threads on the subject of 22rf BR shooting. In particular Saeed has done a lot of testing. The problem has always been, and continues to be, the ammo. 50 yards is fine, 100 yards things go all to hell.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I read the rimfire ammo testing post with great interest when Saeed first posted it. I and I suspect a few others have been waiting for the follow test report that was hinted at. But it must taken a whole heap of work to produce the first one.

Some of our beer and a berger shoots are at 100m and I agree 50m results are no guarantee of success at 100m's.

Until the ISSF and Olypics start shooting out to 100m I feel the situation will not improve very much. As the likes of Eley, RWS and Lapua have no incentive to invest in the product development required.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until the ISSF and Olypics start shooting out to 100m I feel the situation will not improve very much. As the likes of Eley, RWS and Lapua have no incentive to invest in the product development required.

Good luck with that! I wonder what Eley, RWS etc will do when the Olympics decide they will just shoot laser rifles at 100m!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Good luck with that! I wonder what Eley, RWS etc will do when the Olympics decide they will just shoot laser rifles at 100m!!!
Peter.

Their prime market with still be huge. Large enough I feel for them to not be overly concerned. Eley will still jack their prices up by 9% every year regardless.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Yep, I am into rimfire benchrest. I'm currently shooting a factory Suhl 150 with a cedar/carbon fiber stock I made. Scope is a Leupold 36x in BKL rings, tuner is an old Harrel's.

With the right lots of Eley Match it can* shoot 25 shot aggs in the upper teens at 50 yards, but the best I have done in competition is a 245-12x (IR 50/50). Still making mistakes reading the wind! Finding quality ammunition makes a world of a difference and is challenging too.

The Suhl is the best shooting rimfire I've had yet... I have previously messed around with a re-barreled Marlin and 10/22 in benchrest stocks and learned the hard way that you can't take shortcuts to accurate rimfire shooting.

*Can, but some days it doesn't want to shoot so hot. I'm still tweaking/tuning the rifle as I just started shooting it with the new stock this spring.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what Eley, RWS etc will do when the Olympics decide they will just shoot laser rifles at 100m!!!
Peter.

Interesting! Bet It would be a lot easier to read the wind if we all just shot lasers!!! Big Grin

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
quote:
I wonder what Eley, RWS etc will do when the Olympics decide they will just shoot laser rifles at 100m!!!
Peter.

Interesting! Bet It would be a lot easier to read the wind if we all just shot lasers!!! Big Grin

So, uh, how do you tune a laser??

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:

So, uh, how do you tune a laser??

LOL - That's a good one , too!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Yep, I am into rimfire benchrest. I'm currently shooting a factory Suhl 150 with a cedar/carbon fiber stock I made. Scope is a Leupold 36x in BKL rings, tuner is an old Harrel's.
With the right lots of Eley Match it can* shoot 25 shot aggs in the upper teens at 50 yards, but the best I have done in competition is a 245-12x (IR 50/50). Still making mistakes reading the wind! Finding quality ammunition makes a world of a difference and is challenging too.

The Suhl is the best shooting rimfire I've had yet... I have previously messed around with a re-barreled Marlin and 10/22 in benchrest stocks and learned the hard way that you can't take shortcuts to accurate rimfire shooting.

*Can, but some days it doesn't want to shoot so hot. I'm still tweaking/tuning the rifle as I just started shooting it with the new stock this spring.

I'm considering swapping to a straight line stock. But don't have the know how to lay a composite stock down and then do the inletting.
If Don Stith did his for other actions than the Win52. I'd be sorely tempted to order one. As I definately feel they are the way to go.

Tuning is a whole subject on its own. I have played with a home made effort with very little effct. So took it off. I'm now looking for a second hand Harrel. They don't seem to hang around on the for sale notice boards for very long. I have been slowly reading all that I can on tuning. I think I'll have a better idea now on how to crack that particular nut.

I have given up trying to find a batch of Eley black or red box that really hums and have started using R50. A good friend shoots Lapua with good results but I can't run to that cost.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jools:
I'm considering swapping to a straight line stock. But don't have the know how to lay a composite stock down and then do the inletting.
If Don Stith did his for other actions than the Win52. I'd be sorely tempted to order one. As I definately feel they are the way to go.

Tuning is a whole subject on its own. I have played with a home made effort with very little effct. So took it off. I'm now looking for a second hand Harrel. They don't seem to hang around on the for sale notice boards for very long. I have been slowly reading all that I can on tuning. I think I'll have a better idea now on how to crack that particular nut.

I have given up trying to find a batch of Eley black or red box that really hums and have started using R50. A good friend shoots Lapua with good results but I can't run to that cost.

Don inlets straight line stocks for many actions, not just 52s (his website is outdated- just shoot him an email). Personally that is the only way I've made my rimfire BR stocks and I see no reason to change- I really like that style. What kind of rifle are you shooting with?

Like yourself I experimented a couple years ago with a homemade tuner but scrapped it. This was the result of my first rudimentary tuning session with some Eley Match... all I did was rotate the tuner 1/4 turn moving from group to group (3 shots each). Once I have some good ammo again I'll revisit tuning and will also attempt the 2-speed tuning method too.

Fascinating stuff indeed!

Haven't tried RWS or Lapua yet (well, except for SK). I'm not giving up on Eley yet but will absolutely try alternatives if I can't get some hot lots. It'd be a whole lot easier if the ammo wasn't so damn expensive!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip re Dons Site.Your home made tuner results look very similar to mine. I just couldn't seem to get any consistency from one week to the next.
I'm experimenting with rubber O rings at the moment.I'm shooting a lilja barreled 40X.

Ever increasing costs are killing me too. Its one of the reasons why we see fewer people taking up the sport.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I never did any noteworthy shooting with my "tuner" attempt.

It started as a monkey-see, monkey-do job and finished as a lesson on why some things are best left to the pros (and who am I kidding to say anything has changed). Oh well... I just had to learn it the hard way.

Never tried O-rings, although I've considered it. Any significant results from them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too early on the O ring trial to say wheather wwe're moving forward or not. Poor weather and pressing family and business matters have hit hard on what time I've had available to go play recently.

Your tuner sure follows the Heath Robinson approach a lot closer than mine but we seem to have achieved similar results.... I think theres a lesson in there somewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I wasn't familiar with Heath Robinson until today, and you may be on to something. If anything I used to watch a little too much of the Red Green show (esp. Handyman's Corner). It's Harrel's for me from now on!

I just ordered some lots of Eley Match and Team yesterday... crossing my fingers I don't get some of the boxes with 49 killer bullets and one dropper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luch with the new lots of Eley.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I tested three different lots of Eley indoors yesterday. Always fun.

10 groups with 3 rounds each from 3 different lots. Good, bad, and ugly.

Some simple tuning groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weather has been appaulling here. Either raining with high winds or just high winds. Making testing pointless. I don't have any 50m indoor facilities available. The barns are all full.

A small group of us managed to grap a few hours on my range the other sunday. I used some old 1998 eley match that I had snapped up from a old fella who decided that it was time to sell up and quit.

We only managed 2 cards before the wind and ran hit. But what I shot wasn't 2 bad. It wouldn't have won a club match though.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
The somewhat local indoor range is a great convenience for testing if you can handle shooting a BR rifle next to a knothead making noise with an AR.

I shot my first match of this year in conditions I wouldn't wish on anyone (rain driven sideways by the wind), so you have my full sympathy. I have learned though- you gotta shoot in those terrible conditions if you really want to be a good shooter, regardless of how frustrating it gets.

"My range"? Your preferred local place or private backyard range?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ear muff and ear plugs would be the order of the day if I had to put up with a AR cranking out rounds indoors.
I'm not that dedicated to put up with slogging it out in the driving rain.
I'm fortunate to both have a local range at reasonable travelling distance but you're only allowed 1 guest each and a home range for practise, testing and fun. So with a few friends shooting its always at home. We can mix and match between clay shooting and target shooting, and the coffee is always good.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jools:So with a few friends shooting its always at home. We can mix and match between clay shooting and target shooting, and the coffee is always good.

Lucky man... wish I had a range like that.

I re-measured the twist of the factory Suhl barrel and it turns out the thing is 1:19"! I used to think it was around 17.5-17.75" but was never too confident in my measuring, but there was no doubt when I retried it while cleaning last night. No wonder the thing shoots poorly in colder temps!

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I went to the range for some practice with my Suhl in switchy winds yesterday and brought my Marlin out too. It had been awhile since I shot it in the benchrest configuration so it was lots of fun.

I had to build that rifle up to realize what it really took to make a benchrest-quality rimfire, and that's where the need for my Suhl arose.

Typical... taking a photo when the flags are showing a good condition.