New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie needs to zero scope advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am new to shooting with a scope. I just bought a Tikka T3 lite in 7mm-08 with a zeiss conquest I think its a 3.5 to 9 x 40mm. I plan on using it next week for a deer hunt expected range of shot to be 200 yards so I would like to zero at 200 yards shooting 140 gr federal boatail. I expect to hunt keeping the scope zoomed to 4.5 magnification. The scope supposedly has been boresighted by gunshop and factory rings lapped. What is the best way to sight this in?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to the range.

make the groups center about 1.75" high at 100yards. this is assuming those 140s are doing around 2800fps with those factory federal vitalshocks. thats what i would do. even 2" high wouldnt harm

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hate to sound stupid but should I keep the scope
at the magnification I will be hunting? Should I focus zoomed to 9x then back off to 4x, really don't know the basics of using the scope well enough to zero properly. I get the part about 2" high at 100 yrds and am aware I need to rest everything on a solid rest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't matter. I would suspect that for a shot at 200 yards, on a deer, you will need more than 4x. Use 9x, then after adjusting the scope to desired POI, you could, if you wanted to, back off to 4X and verify that the POI has not moved. On a scope like a Zeiss, I would be surprised if it did.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking it out tomorrow give it a go thanks. Yes I bought the zeiss expecting a good piece of gear.