New
Find
Notify
Tools

New B52 engines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen a couple of news articles lately about the Air Force wanting to replace the old engines on the B52's. Pratt and Whitney has offered the new engines they are putting in bizjets which seem kind of small to me. Why cant the B52 be adapted to use the big turbofans that are used on the newer jets like the 777 and others? Use 4 instead of 8? Turbofans not able to cruise high enough?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna guess they need engines that can fit the existing nacelles, clear the ground with a safety margin, and give necessary thrust with fuel economy. If you look at pics of a B-52 on the ground you notice there is significant wing droop to the point they require bogey wheels on the wing tips. Big turbofans wouldn't work. I watched a promo video and it was stated the engines would not require an overhaul over the entire anticipated remaining 30 year service life of the aircraft!

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it all makes sense, but it seems that I remember seeing a photo somewhere of a B-52 flying with 1 turbofan engine. I think it was an engine test where they were evaluating the modification. Guess it didn't work.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the photos, although it looks like photoshop may have been at work on a couple.
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik....s-b-52-fl-1685747978

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that if it had 4 engines, the vertical stabilizer could not handle the lateral load of an asymmetrical thrust situation if thrust was lost in 1 engine. Plus it is already plumbed and wired for 8 engines.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Yep, it all makes sense, but it seems that I remember seeing a photo somewhere of a B-52 flying with 1 turbofan engine. I think it was an engine test where they were evaluating the modification. Guess it didn't work.

Boeing rented a B52 to test the engines for the then new 747

One engine replaced 2.

13 foot wing tip rise at takeoff for a normal flight.

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be feasible to use larger engines to replace the two pairs inboard while acknowledging wing droop to replace the two outboard pairs with somewhat smaller replacements? If replacement engines are in mass use by commercial aircraft, perhaps having two types of engines installed would not be a significant handicap?

Just a thought.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Radar cross section of a big high bypass fan......

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
Radar cross section of a big high bypass fan......

RCS of a B-52 is already as big as a Mack truck flying sideways. rotflmo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Believe it or not; due to the big fans, the A-10 has a bigger square meter radar signature than the B-52
- Mike (Warthog pilot way back when it was factory new old )

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Believe it or not; due to the big fans, the A-10 has a bigger square meter radar signature than the B-52
- Mike (Warthog pilot way back when it was factory new old )

Thanks for the info, I never knew that.

- Roger ( Retired maintenance instructor for composite structures on the F-22 Raptor and some "other" stuff). Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote