New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for our Scotsmen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
. . . or anyone else among our learned AR participants who can give me the answer to this off-subject question.

What is the correct phonetic pronunciation for the name "McQuesne"? Is it a commonly found name in Scotland (or Ireland)?

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not seen it before here in Scotland. More likely to have French routes and probably pronounced McKwane, McQueen or McKwine with the S being silent - pronounciation is probably more to do with whomever has it as their name.

Note that a lot of Hugenouts left Northern France in the 1600's and 1700's and came to both England and Scotland.

Mc and Mac in Scotland is the belonging to the Quesne family. Mc was probably added to make it more Scottish.

To be honest in Scotland there are plenty of family names and place names that sound very different to how they are spelt.

"Drumelzier" - a village and mountain down in the Borders is pronounced "Drumellier"

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it - check your spelling - most likely McQueen - a Skye name.

I grew up not too far from Drumelzier (Drumellier) and Kilncadzow (Kilcaigie)..

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I knew a couple of McQueen's in Australia, and one of the biggest assholes I have ever met in my entire life was a fat lady named McQueen she was from Kentucky.

There is an really famous Australian hooker named Christine McQueen, she tried to sue one of her John's for alimony.

The Australian's I know, aren't related to the hooker, I think it is a stage name.

It is a funny thing when you hear a name and it brings up another memory.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, spelling is "McQuesne" and is correct, at least as far back as the 19th Century. Of course, spellings get mangled through the years so whether this is the original spelling or a corruption of the original spelling is unknown.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
spellings get mangled through the years so whether this is the original spelling or a corruption of the original spelling is unknown.

Very likely. You find that with many names, especially once you start doing family history. Sometimes the current and the early names are nothing at all alike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quesne

Hmmm. . . the "Quesne" seems to have a French origin (not surprising), while the "Mc" may have been appended to it when some former French found themselves in the Highlands. It appears that the English pronunciation is something like "Mc-keen". Some I know have pronounced it "Mc-canie", and others phonetically as "Mc-Quez-nie". Another possibility might be "McCain". Thanks for the Wiki tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife, who was educated in English schools, had friends named DuQuesne. She (and they) pronounced it "DuKenney". I think the McQuesne name is simply the same name Anglicized. I would pronounce it 'McKenny'.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's pronounce 'McWain', like John McWain in Die Hard, Shirley McWain, etc. Smiler

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote