Find
Notify
Tools

Alpine Ibex
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
What countries can you hunt Alpine ibex? What are price ranges one would expect to pay for hunts in each country? Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The majority of them are not free range.

Austria some will be free range but not all
Germany only in a high fence
Slovenia not sure
Switzerland all free range

The majority of them are in Switzerland, the most common system is to buy a hunt from an outfitter there, it is also by a long shot the most expensive.

You can apply through the Swiss government and eventually draw a tag. It cost about 2000-4000 Swiss franks to apply, and then
there is a trophy fee of 3000-15000 Swiss francs depending on the Canton.

Most of the majority of fenced alpine ibex in Europe are going to be $10,000 to 30,000, dependent on where you go.

www.sportsmenonfilm.com has some in Germany high fenced.

www.diana.dk has quite a few options, but you'll have to contact them.

I have been researching this for a long time, and have never had the money to do it. I am not by any means an expert on the subject.

Jagdreisen and other German based booking agents will have more details.

You can do a search in hunting reports on AR, and find a few people who have done it in Austria and Switzerland, several have gone the direct to Swiss Government method and made it work for much cheaper.

The most expensive way to hunt Switzerland is with an outfitter from Spain or someplace else in Europe. They are basically selling the hunt that they bought in the Swiss lottery at probably 3-10 times the cost.

Now that I am finally at a point in my life to have the money to do it, I have a hard time walking let a lone climbing a mountain for a stinky goat.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.uganda-wildlife-safaris.com/hunters.php

This guy used to be a booking agent in Germany that had a handle on the alpine ibex there. Not sure if he is still booking hunts or not.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I would only be interested in free range hunting. Also not likely to pay $20-30,000+ for an ibex hunt of any description.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Search the AR archives, there are a few gents who have done this hunt in Switzerland.

They would have a better idea of what the going rate is.

Austria and Slovenia will most likely be high fence.

Germany will be high fence, and I think the property is something like 2000 acres in Eastern Germany in low country. Might as well shoot one in Argentina or Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit information that may supplement what already posted.
Slovenia is predominantly free range, but there is not a lot of mature Ibex for sale.
Austria is by far most free range, I've seen them when hunting Chamois, but licenses in free range are hard to come by for aliens.
Germany is a mix of free range and fenced.
France has only a few licenses.
Italy has a strong population - but hunting is very limited.
Switzerland is your best bet.
Try to contact Diana,dk, they have in the past offered them in Slovenia, Austria and Switzerland.
Fantastic trophy in spectacular settings

Posts: 91 | Location: Denmark, Hill Billy Westcoast | Registered: 18 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntfish:
A bit information that may supplement what already posted.
Slovenia is predominantly free range, but there is not a lot of mature Ibex for sale.
Austria is by far most free range, I've seen them when hunting Chamois, but licenses in free range are hard to come by for aliens.
Germany is a mix of free range and fenced.
France has only a few licenses.
Italy has a strong population - but hunting is very limited.
Switzerland is your best bet.
Try to contact Diana,dk, they have in the past offered them in Slovenia, Austria and Switzerland.
Fantastic trophy in spectacular settings

Thanks, I have not lived in Europe since 2008, I wasn't 100% sure on the current situation. I appreciate your help.

I personally want one as well, but it hasn't been a priority enough to work on it. That and the price isn't something I can swallow right now with 3 kids in diapers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another tip is to contact CARACAL here on AR, he might be able to help you.
When I was in Slovenia last year, the guide told me about the hunting for Ibex, free range.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my limited experience I don't think you will find a guided outfitted Alpine less than 20,000€ free range.

Fenced you can find for 12,000€+ depending on size and availability.