Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 bullet recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
Which bullet do you recommend or prefer in 7x64 for medium game?
I hunt whitetail deer and occasionally wild boar.

I have heard very mixed reports about Norma Vulcan - any views?

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good results with:
-Hornady SST 139 grains
-N204 powder 55 grains
-LR Bench Rest CCI primers
Accurate (3 shots in 1 cm at 100 m) and effective on the beast, from roe to boar

Let us know your results

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for bullets only or factory loaded ammunition?

Norma Vulcan is rather soft bullet, but may serve its cause having that in mind.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rws H-mantle - good allrounder. Nowt wrong with 139gn Hornady Interlock either

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
170 grain Norma Oryx is everything you need.
Remember a wildboar can weight 200 - 300kg if you are lucky to get a Keiler (male)

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mainly 160 grain 10.4g bullets in my 7x64 rifles, and like the Nosler partition the best. i have also had good results with Norma Oryx 154 and 170 grain, they are always reliable.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 7x64 really liked 160 grains nosler partition.

it worked great on roe deer, wild boar (never seen one of 200 or 300 kgs ...max 157 ) and red deer.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Berger 168 VLD on stags with good results

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Alway had good results with the 162grn RWS TIG but on common sized deer like Reds and fallow along with Boar i dont think it matters a great deal if its a Remington, Hornady type bullet

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading the 7x64 for different hunters; all shooting European game, Wild Boar, Red, Fallow & Roe Deer.

They are all using 140 gr. Barnes TTSX, VVN-160, RWS brass and W-WLRP crimped into the first relief groove with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Three different rifle manufactures, they all report excellent accuracy and perfect terminal performance.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would use 140 or 150 gr. Barns TTSX

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If available to you, I like the 130 gr. Speer in most 7mm, but not magnums..Its a real killer, but destructive...so mostly I have used the 145 gr. Speer..These days I shoot a long throated 7x57 and get 7x64 ballistics..Have not used European "bullets" much, so no help there. Used about every make of American 7mm bullet over the last 84 years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using 140gn TSX's at just under 2900fps.

They shoot very flat and incredibly accurately from my old FN Mauser and punch through the toughest fighting shields on old Boar pigs with ease. Penetration is superb.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try the new Fox bullets. We have been trying them here in the UK. In 308 everything shot just falls over, not a lot of meat damage but very good wound track. We shot a number into ballistic Gells and clay - they expand well but hold together.

I have started working up a load for the 145g bullets in 7x65r - loaded up ten with varying charges from 50g to 52g of IMR 4350 - all of them went into the same 1" square at 75m. These bullets seem to be accurate in everything tried so far.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a true 7mm, but I have great success with the 140 grain Noslar Accubond in my 270 at 2950 FPS. I shot through, exit, the lungs with it at over 100 yards on a big 210.5 pound Fallow. He dropped to the shot as if he had b en spines. Shot the heart out and then both shoulders blades on a whitetail doe both shots exited, then shot another whitetail doe between the eyes at 115 yards.

I also shot two small boar about 50 pounds each with that bullet. The first was through the hip joint backside on. The bullet exited under the throat and the entire left side split opened like a zipper. The second boar caught one through the spine and exited.

In true 7mm, I might go up to 160 grain, but I love the Accubond.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Accubond is newer bullet so to speak. I have used it a good deal in my 30-06, 250 Savage Ruger, and my 338 Win on both elk, Mule Deer, and on a large number of whitetail..It has impressed me in all these caliber..It also seems to be the most accurate bullets Ive used in these calibers and recently in my latest custom build 7x57 wherein its shooting sub MOA groups, and a number of 1/2 inch groups...I will be shooting deer with it next season for sure with Accubonds. IN the meantime I'll be shooting coyotes and probably some feral hogs..From an accuracy and killing stand point I'm leaning toward the 160 gr. and 175 gr. bullets for elk, moose and whatevers bigger than a deer. I like GSC and Noslers for most of my big game hunting with premium bullets..With cup and core I'll take WW Power Points and Rem corelokts in that order.

All that said there are a world of good bullets out there today, hard to go wrong anymore!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet did you choose?

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know that I am late getting on this post. I have used the Federal Premium 7X64 ammunition that has a Nosler Patition bullet in multiple 7X64's. It shoots 1MOA or less in every rifle. Whether it is the bullet, powder or the cartridge I am unsure, I would definitely consider using it for reloading.

Posts: 6 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 14 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
Hi,
Which bullet do you recommend or prefer in 7x64 for medium game?
I hunt whitetail deer and occasionally wild boar.

I have heard very mixed reports about Norma Vulcan - any views?

- Lars/Finland

I am now using Perigrine bullets to reload for my 7x65R and my .270 with spectacular results.
Will try other calibres soon.
The bullets are fantastic! Deadly and extremely accurate.

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
How about something like this:

http://www.sax-munition.de/sax...kjg-sr-patronen.html

I am shooting those in my 8x68S lately and they work great - light, fast, flat, always exit...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from hunting Whitetail and Mule deer in texas, did a little culling for the ranch..I used the 30-06 with 200 gr. Nosler Accubonds and to my surprise it killed those little whitetail instantly with one run of 20 yards...I used my new 7x57 Long throated custom rifle that dublicates the 7x64 and 280 Rem..The 140 gr Accubonds were great on the Mule deer and the 160 Nosler partition on elk.

As you notice on this thread, everyone has a different favorite bullet, that is very common occurance with the 7x57, 7x64, 7-08 or any 7MM, its just a great caliber with about any bullet one choses..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120