Find
Notify
Tools

8x68S - Best bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
I am planning on going to Namibia in July 2008, for a plain game safari with some friends.
This seems like a good excuse to add another rifle to the rack! And have decided on an 8x68S (probably a Sauer 202 or a Mauser M03).
I know there is still a lot of time ahead but I would like to start developing loads for the rifle as soon as I get my hands on it. And getting the right reloading components around here is, some times, very difficult and may take quite some time.

Those of you familiarized with this calibre what bullets would you recommend?

Would a Barnes TSX or an Rws EVO be a good choice?

Suggestions regarding bullets, powders and reloading data would be very welcomed.

Thanks

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi B

Try
http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Patronen/8x68S.html
Lutz can be PM'd on this forum. His bullets are excellent as is his English. Bullets are well priced and absolutely fantastic.
Delivery is also very reliable.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good results with the following loads:

CCI 200 primer
69 gr of S365 SOMCHEM
220 gr Nosler partition

or
CCI 200 Primer
71 gr of S365 SOMCHEM
220 gr Rhino

After the Rhinos came in fashion I switched from the Noslers and am very happy with my choice. Great calibre for Namibia !
Forgot to mention that I only use RWS Cases

Posts: 193 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded Nosler 200 grs Partitions with great results. A Barnes TSX would also be a superb choice - whether 180 or 200 grs.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I would recommend:

200 grs Nosler Partition
200 grs A Frame
200 grs (?) RUAG ( Blaser ) CDP ( especially in the 8 x 68S it has a good reputation )

WH Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I loaned KarlS's 8x68S which he loads with 220gr Swift A-frames in our Namibian safari last year and they seemed to work pretty well.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CDP, TSX and GSC HV - 8x68S velocities are brutal on bullets.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote