Find
Notify
Tools

roebuck season 09
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted
16 may roebuck season starts in denmark, and my newphew had asked if he could come out with me(he is 11) i agreed at once without asking his mother( major mistake, but got sorted in the end)

so i picked him up yesterday(friday) and he slept at our place, we rose at 3:00 AM and drove the 45 min south from my place to the forest, where i am part of the syndicate, that rents it.

we have had beautiful weather for month or more but that desided to change overnight with strong winds rain and temps in the 6-8 celcius, it was bone chilling cold.

we went into my part of the forest, and started to stalk around, and after 15 minutes a buck presented itself, but alas it was to small for my taste this early in the season. so we saluted him and went deeper into the forest.

next option came and went in a flash, as the buck came chrashing through the woods at top speed, i had the hollis 12 bore with me and swung through the buck as he went by only to discover that he to was to young as well.

by now the rain were almost flushing my 90 pound newphew out to see, so we went back to the hunting cabin to dry out a bit, and see if the weather would change anytime soon. it wouldent so i desided to call it a day, much to my newphews dismay.

i had a plan B off course, so we jumped back in the car and drove 1,5 hours to my inlaws place, where there were less rain and a lot warmer, so we sat and watched a a field for about 20 minutes when a couple of roe's appared, and then 2 more. well no self respecting roebuck could leave these fine ladies alone, so after 5 minutes he came trotting along, really full of himself and not realising that we were there as well. (terminal mistake)

we stalked a bit closer and i let the shot fly at 50 meter's, the buck caught the bullet just in front of the shoulder, with the exit just behind the opposite shoulder and just toppled over dead.

i must admit this were one of the better days, out stalking with the next generation and he loved every minute of it and cant wait until next time.

i hope to get back out there tommorow.

i will be back later

peter Smiler

so show me your's, lets make it as good as last year. and ian i know you have some pictures to share.

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice one! How old do you have to be to hold a hunting licence in Denmark?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! I commended you for taking a youngster hunting. He is in fact the future of the sport.

I heard earlier today that a friend of mine from Denmark down a Roebuck too.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your very nice buck, Peter!

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

well the season got off to a great start, and i am on my way back to the forest later today, just need to do some horsework before i can get out of here.

bog you need to be 16 years old before you can get a hunting license in denmark, but i usually take the young one's out with me as soon as they show a interest in hunting.

best

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter- you are a great rolemodel and caracter builder for that young man,

words fall short of describing the good that you have done, I wish I had more time to do that sort of thing.

/Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thanks chris

you are to kind, im just lucky that there is still kids out there, that want to come out and hunt with me.

best

peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil Peter. Nice buck and great of you to introduce the lad to hunting.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and, especially, well done Peter!

He'll be wanting a 12 bore of his very own before he's 16 I'll wager! clap

ATB,

AMir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil. Nice Buck.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice going
glad to see a youngster in tow learning the ropes as such
only had one buck so far this season but not realy had much chance to get out on them as i had hoped
ah well look forward to the future and see what it brings
when will the youngster get his turn????
as he looks keen to try

Posts: 238 | Location: coventry, England | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Congratulations and, especially, well done Peter!

He'll be wanting a 12 bore of his very own before he's 16 I'll wager! clap

ATB,

AMir

amir

since this young lad weighs less than my sleigh dog, he needs to put on some weight before he will tackle that kind of gun, BUT he has allready fired, my 450/400 3,25" with NfB loads in and enjoyed it so he has some spunk and will get there soon enough. clap

best

peter

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard E:
nice going
glad to see a youngster in tow learning the ropes as such
only had one buck so far this season but not realy had much chance to get out on them as i had hoped
ah well look forward to the future and see what it brings
when will the youngster get his turn????
as he looks keen to try

as soon as his lasy ass uncle gets around to regulating the 7x57 dbl. rifle and the lad shows that he can shoot it as good as he can shoot some of the other guns, he will be allowed to shoot under my supervision.

best

peter

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
and the neverending saga goes on.

Last evening i desided that i needed a small break from the kids and horses(been riding scoop for a few hours to entertain him and me)

so i stalked a few hundred meters to a chair i have overlooking a small clearing, and i just sat down and enjoyed the peace and quite of the forest.

it only took half an hour and a small roe came out and started feeding around the clearing, when there is one there is usually more so i just sat there, looking at her.

10- minutes later another came along again a roe, but she kept looking over her back at the forest so i knew that the buck were in there, looking out and making sure that no evil were around.

well he should have looked a bit more because when he cleared the forest and came onto my land, i aimed for his shoulder and let the bullet fly, now im used to the buck falling over when i shoot them, but i had taken niickys steyr SL 223 that evening and the buck reacted as hit by a heart bullet but started on a dead run back into the forest.

And he was gone.

i sat there for awhile, second guessing myself, and going over the shot in my mind. after a smoke i rose and went to the place where i shot at him and found no blood trail or anything, since the buck went on another mans proberty, i couldent go in there.
luckly in denmark we have an official org. called the sweisshound reg. and i called the nearest one in my area, by then it was dusk and he said that it would be dark before he could be around, would i mind it if we started this morning at 7:00 i agreed to this and he arrived promtly at seven with his drathhairs, we went to the point of the shooting, and he let his dog search the area it struck the trail at once and after about 50 meters the buck were found.

i was so relived when i saw that the shot was a good one and he was dead on his feet when i saw him, he just needed some meters to realise that.

so all is well that ends well, i payed the sweeishund handler his price of 15 $ and gave him a tip of a 100$ because of a job well done.

best regards

peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Peter, next time you'll go for the neck shot! Do you generally see deer going further if shot with the .223?

Nice to see such a well-organised bloodtrailing system, I understand this is the case in many (most?) continental countries.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thanks ben

i very rarly go for a neck shot, i just get a bigger gun, but at the moment i work to much on other peoples guns so i dont have time to finish my own(on the bench is one of my 12 bores that i made new express sights for and i still need to file them in) and yes the buck was dead on his hoves, but to ancor them, i see a big difference when going up in caliber.
but then i like the bigger brit calibers, before ww1.
regarding the sweisshound system i have seen it in germany and sweden as well and yes it works wonders.

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Til lykke!
Nice buck,glad you got him.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thanks mate

i will be out again tommorow, at my in-laws place. and then back down to the syndicate sunday, damn i love and hate this time of year.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately my rifle went booom when I was pointing at this nice buck in Poland here at the premiere in Poland Wink beer

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Hey,good head !!
Well done.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
very nice buck, congratulations.

best

peter

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
just a picture now the story will follow later tonight:

peter

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Well - took me some time, however yesterday at 06.00 h crossed the path of this wily old bird:

Although his back teeth don't show particulary excessive use...:

...the front ones are in a pretty bad shape:

Trophy:

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Mouse

Your photos are great. Congrats on the nice trophy! As always, I am very envious of your dog.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
As always, I am very envious of your dog.

Jeff - don't be - she may be a true pain in the a.. sometimes Wink - thanks anyway beer

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
Mouse

Your photos are great. Congrats on the nice trophy! As always, I am very envious of your dog.

+1 We just lost our beagle (don't talk to me about a sometimes pain in the a..). Your hound poses with game better than any dog I've ever seen.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Well thanks - tho she is far too smart for me - knowing exactly what is going on - see that look? bewildered

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
mouse

congratulations on a fine buck

best

peter

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Mouse, Waidmansheil!

I will hopefully be posting my own pictures soon, I'm heading up to Scotland for the rut on the 9th July dancing

Regards,

#Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The Sauer spoke again last night. Nothing spectacular but I'm glad anyway. He was an old buck who had seen better days but he was ruling a, difficult to hunt, part of our territory (with many houses and roads). Very dominant, he constantly drove away every young male and consequently the road kill ratio was abnormally high in that sector. I started the evening hunting on the other side but was chased away by the farmer's tractor making hay. On my way home, I stopped underway and decided to cast a look in the "forgotten corner" described above, as the weather was exceptionally fine. Along the edge of the woods, I immediately spotted a fawn, soon joined by its mother. I watched for about 30' and suddenly, the buck came out of the cover to walk straight to the first 2, crossing the high grass between us. I switched from binos to rifle, took a rest and dropped him at 150 m.

NB : the buck was covered by legions of ticks (visible on the neck)

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
André,

Waidmansheil, Pal.

Funny how hunting is like that? You make a stop, or a "Detour" to see what could be around the next bend or in your case the "Forgotten Corner" and manage to locate something interesting!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Forgotten corner" in plain English is a place that usually has not been hunted for several years. They are much more worth looking into than another evening sitting on your favourite highstand.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - Waidmannsheil Andre.

quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
"Forgotten corner" in plain English is a place that usually has not been hunted for several years. They are much more worth looking into than another evening sitting on your favourite highstand.

So true thumb - however "forgotten" always come with a reason - there is always some sort of a hack - remoteness, undergrowth, terrain...that makes you think twice before heading there & as a rule of thumb those places are many times fruitless - BUT - when you strike oil there (and it is just a matter of time before you do)...it is usually a big time Cool

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Waidmansheil Andre!

Only 2 weeks left now.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Andre, he looks to be in good shape despite the tick infestation.

I agree about 'forgotten corners' there are a few spots on my patch that are 'uncomfortable' to hunt because of houses/roads/walkers, making the hunting experience slightly more stressful - but also generally successful.

quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Thanks guys - Waidmannsheil Andre.

quote:
Originally posted by DUK:

So true thumb - however "forgotten" always come with a reason - there is always some sort of a hack - remoteness, undergrowth, terrain...that makes you think twice before heading there & as a rule of thumb those places are many times fruitless - BUT - when you strike oil there (and it is just a matter of time before you do)...it is usually a big time Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmansheil André,

words like plump and so forth, spring to mind looking at that buck,

in Sweden we have a huge surge in the amounts of tics in the woods and on the game due to the mild winters,

I pray, even though I am a nonbeliver that the coming winter will be long, hard and cold.

I have only 54 more days until opening day.

/Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Well thanks - tho she is far too smart for me - knowing exactly what is going on - see that look? bewildered

That is a fine looking pup!!!

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
last day of the danish season, and i managed to woble out on a small stalk here at the farm(still got the busted knee)
this elderly gentleman has been giving me the runaround for a few years, but not any more

and thankfully this young man were with me, his mind is getting back in the game and he drug the buck home for me Red Face

so a nice morning all in all

best

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Peter,

did you notice how the pain in the knee dissapated during the final part of the stalk?

It does for me at least.

Best regards Chris,

that still has 30 days to go before roe bucks are in season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Pics.
Thanks for Sharing Guys.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas