Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted
A long time ago when Deer UK was still going there was a review of some sticks IIRC the were called Mountain staff or something similar.

They consisted of 4 poles all connected to form a V when viewed from the side and an inverted v from the front or rear.

Have any of you used them? if so any good?

Where can the be bought from in the UK? does any where in Germany stock them?

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
DJM,

In my opinion this type of stick's is the BEST EVER INVENTED!!

I have been using them for a longtime now and just cannot believe not everybody is doing the same.

I make my own set-up and can confirm that the groups I can achieve standing at 100yds are not much bigger than from shooting prone. (that does not mean dinner plate groups either!! Big Grin)

If I get a chance I will get some pictures done and share the knowledge - you will be well chuffed!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
What did you use for the poles I was looking at using dowel but it seemed far too flexible although it was only pine dowel. I have just been Google-ing for Hardwood dowel to try and make a set myself so any info or photos would be of great use.

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bamboo is normally pretty stiff and light.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
A good cheap, serviceable standby set can be made using the tubular green coated plant/beansticks from the local garden centre, we join them using milking parlour rubbers!, No loss if bent or mislaid! Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
R

Would be great to get some pics of your set up. How do you join the 2 sets together and how does it work exactly?

I presume you have the forend on the forward section and but/arm/elbow on the rear?

How quick are they to deploy - as this sounds a bit more complicated than the conventional two sticks?

Thanks

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, you are correct in the use of the plastic coated garden canes.

The tricky part is in the angles of the bolts and nuts used to join the 4 poles together.

Jon, once you learn how to use them they are very quick, maybe not as quick as 2 poles, but the increase in stability far outweighs the speed factor.

I have 2 sets, one for standing and one for sitting shots in the heather.

Once we get a clear day - no rain Frowner - I will do some pictures, if you like....

(You must come and get that ammo sometime Jon Big Grin)

For the sake of getting blasted by the anti long range brigade - I have been party to 2 red hinds and a calf shot standing, using this set up, at a lasered 220, 240 and 260 yards, chest shot not necked!! - actualy Jon it was where you saw those reds in the spring.

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nightwalker uk:

I have been party to 2 red hinds and a calf shot standing, using this set up, at a lasered 220, 240 and 260 yards, chest shot not necked!!

[QUOTE]

Obviously not that steady if you had to resort to body shooting at those ranges Big Grin stir

I've got a set - don't really use them. I would if I was on somewhere like Salisbury but I have a mixture of wood, big fields and small fields and despite practice found them too slow and loud to deploy. The quality IMHO was a bit low as bits fell off quite easily.

In the end I resorted to Mr Jewel thumb that did the trick!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Nice one 1894mk2, didn't say that they were running at the time!! dancing

That was a joke by the way!!

Cool

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by nightwalker uk:

I have been party to 2 red hinds and a calf shot standing, using this set up, at a lasered 220, 240 and 260 yards, chest shot not necked!!

Obviously not that steady if you had to resort to body shooting at those ranges Big Grin stir

I've got a set - don't really use them. I would if I was on somewhere like Salisbury but I have a mixture of wood, big fields and small fields and despite practice found them too slow and loud to deploy. The quality IMHO was a bit low as bits fell off quite easily.

In the end I resorted to Mr Jewel thumb that did the trick!

1894mk2 do you fancy parting with them Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Sounds a good machine Richard. Looking forward to seeing it in operation when I come across.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this what you're all looking for?

http://www.midfieldandco.co.uk/

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see several problems with those that are advertised, but I guess once you find something that works, you always think yours are the best!!

Sure these will work OK though.

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
They are the design I was looking for

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
They are the design I was looking for

Thought as much!

Ask and you shall be told. coffee

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJM,

just buy a couple of the 3xm sticks from the sportsman and bolt them together at the bottom,

if you get stuck PM nightwalker for a picture of his set up,

it will work out quite cheap and you can adjust the height then.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
Heck man, just make yerself a set. Have you seen Varmint Als plans for making them. I use his plan (which isn't really a plan at all) and really like the spoon idea.

Take a look at this here website http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

and save yourself some hard earned dollars.

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that helped.

I couldn’t bring myself to spend £85 of hard earned money on shooting sticks, so I made my own.

Below are some pictures of the finished article, they were simple to make and cost less that £5.

You will need,

Green Garden Canes 1800mm x 16mm, 1700mm x 11mm.
Bungee Rope
O rings, Bike Inner Tube or Bridle Rope

Most of you will have seen Bipod stalking sticks using garden canes.
Simply make two sets of these,

By joining the sticks with either large o rings, inner tube or a bridle rubber you will be able to adjust he height to allow for sitting shots.

You may think this is not necessary as the support you get when using these is as good as when prone, but do you really want to stand for 2 hours waiting for the elusive buck to show up.

Join both sets together at the bottom using 3/8 bungee rope, go around the sticks 3 times this will make them sufficiently stiff to work as a bipod for quick shots.

I found I needed to shorten one of the 4 poles to make for a more comfortable shooting position.

The sticks work great as a normal bipod sticks and have the benefit of being ultra stable when fully deployed for those longer range shots.

You will need to practice the use of them to get the full benefit them, and some range time to assess your abilities with them.

I am 6” 5’ and found I needed to use 1800mm x 16mm Green garden canes to be able to use them as a bipod, if you are shorter you are lucky enough to be able to use 1700mm x 11mm which makes a lighter smaller set of sticks.

I have used single, bipod and tripod sticks over the years but these are by far the best I have used so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made something like what you're looking for out of some aluminum tubing with a little added option to leave my left hand free for using a caller --- mine's short (I use it sitting down) but works great. The 2nd photo shows how I used the rubber tubing.

They work great and weigh almost nothing.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the best thing for joining the sticks together I have found is exhaust rubbers, some have two holes some have three, very sturdy and hold your sticks quite solidly.Also some pipe foam on the bottom of 2 of the 3 canes so they don't clack together..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this general set up for some years and find it a real help. However, I find it much easier to use if the tops are connected by a cord of the correct length so that I can hold the sticks in my left hand and, when I see the target, place the base on the ground, throw the forward v-set out to the extent of the string, quickly place the rifle in the rest and take the shot. The addition of a cord that is cut to the length of your rifle greatly speeds up the time from target recognition to firing. As the others have said, practice makes perfect (just how much more I have yet to practice, I don't know as perfection seems a very very long way off!), but I think I have some images od stalkers doing so and will attempt to post them this week.

Posts: 51 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that tip Cranbone Chase, I will try it out. Cool