Notify
Tools

Ferlach Gunsmith school?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Ferlach Gunsmith school

I thought I would post this, after all this time I finally found the gunsmithing school's website.

I am going to call again on Monday and see if I can find some one that sprechens sie English a little better.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on this outfit?

Thanks,

D99.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serious business not a gunsmithing school. A 5 year degree track program of full time study. Engineering intensive and taught in the Austrian Dialecht of German. Have fun!! Beautiful part of the world and center of the firearms universe.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

the school is 4 years and you have to join till end of february.
Look at this page, there are some more informations

http://www.beyars.com/partner_hoehere-technische-bundes...bl-ferlach_2957.html

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I finally got to talk to someone on the phone, the language is not a problem. The director told me that they would work with me on the language if I wanted to go.

He told me they had a 59 year old Canadian that just graduated and he had never lived in Europe or even spoke another language. He managed and after 4 years spoke at least passable German.

The gunmaker school is 4 years and the gun engineering school is 5. Both schools build a gun of their choice.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of experience in the school, in that my son is attending the Buechsenmacher part of the school. By the way, the elder gentelman reffered to is an American from Florida, and he is currently in his 5th year attending a special add on course.

You don't need to speak German but it would be real helpful.

They have 2 different types of weapon courses, the 'gun making' or buechsemacher course, and a 'Weapons engineering' or waffentechnik course where you would get a gun making engineering dergree, but this is not recognized outside of austria.

They have an open house sometime in January, and if you are interested, I would highly reccomend that you go there during the open house.

If you want any more info that maybe I can give you first hand, just ask.

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
Oh,,, I forgot to add, it is a gunmaking school, and you basically build a weapon out of a chunk of steel over the 4 year gun making course. My skinny soft handed son went away the first year and returned after a year as a calloused handed big armed young man. There was a lot of hand filing and hand sanding of steel. You learn to make a gun with a file.

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you'll have a PM!

One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
Ach-So. It took me a while to figure out what a PM was, and how I get to it. Now I got it.