Find
Notify
Tools

my new up and coming deerdog
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted
i posted this on anothe forum but just wanted to brag about my new little one: Roll Eyes

well he was out working this friday, i had invited a friend of mine, that couldent quite get the stalking of roe deer, to end with a deer on the ground. so he came up to my place to get a little instructions and a nice walk with the rifle.
we had a nice allthough short walk wich turned into a stalk on a young roe and he let the rifle talk at about 80 meters, the caliber was 9,3x62 so the animal should be there on the ground but it was not...
i was not too unhappy with the results(i saw the bullet hit and knew that it would be around there somewhere but the chance of balto getting some expirence was to good to let go.
i told me mate that the animal was dead, but i would get the dog anyway for the training, he agreed allthough with a pale and nervous face Smiler

so i let balto go from the place of the hit, lots of blood spoor there. An after 80 meters this:

is it completly dead ?

with that hole it should be !!

yup!! dead at both ends

so he started barking while sitting by the roe :grin:

and he wishes you all happy hollidays

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Very nice looking dog; what breed is it, one of the Scandinavian moose hounds?

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
peter

he is a 11 months old alaskan malamute sometimes called balto other times called stupid piece of s**t.

he weighs around 110 pounds at the moment, and i train him as a bloodtracker, it looks like he is a totverbeller aka barking at the dead. which is nice so you know that the game is down and where it is Smiler especially if one choses to use 243@70 grain stir

his full story is over on the alaskan forum.

best regards

peter

posted Hide Post
Peter,

How did you end up with an alaskan malamute? I honestly thought it was one of the more local breeds such as the Norwegian Elkhound, although I confess I don't know much about any of the Spitz breeds..

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, nice looking dog,

sure doesn´t like those antlers though.

Quick question, did he at any time give the roe a good shake? did the show any kind of "it´s mine mentality"?

That is a good size dog, the way I like them, apparently so do you to.

Best regards and holiday cheers /Chris

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
peter

i have been training dogs for a lot of years, and got bored with the usual lab or springer or GSP(still got my GSP) and wanted something specialized for bloodtracking.
i have allways admired malamutes and have a friend in norway that drives and hunts with his so it came to that it was time to get serious.
these guys are mostly used for slegding but they have a terrific prey drive and a se above all else.
sadly they are very smart, to smart for there own good. Smiler

chris

no he dont like them its the small bells on them.

no protective mentality what so ever, malamutes are still have a pack mentality, so he calls me when he finds something of interest thumb
he have taken one roe that was shot badly down and as soon as i had control of the animal he let go of it, so so far his future is bright.

he will end up as a very big jæmthund in size and spirit.

he is also fitting in perfect with my old GSP and actually pointed yesterday, allthough i dont think he knew what he was doing.

best regards

peter