Find
Notify
Tools

...surprise surprise...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
...hehe - friday evening - about 11.30 PM I recieved a phone call from my friend hunter that he has just shot a piglet but it ran off, so he asked me to assist him early on the saturday morning with my dog to go and search the small piggy...we met at 7 AM and go to the spot where he did the shooting...right there there were no signs so i just unrolled the tracking belt and left the dog to do the work...we soon found the track with no blood at the beginning but after some 30 m the blood appeared - first in small amounts but later it expand in rather big patches...after some 100 m I began to be suspicious (piglet was shot with 8 x 57 - Norma oryx 12,7 g - there was qute a lot of blood there , but still no game found, I could not check the size of the footprints on behalf of fallen leaves)...so we continued with tracking and after another 150 m I came upon a bed where the pig was resting and after leaving the bed made a sharp turn off 90 deg to the right...I followed the track for some 50 m and just passed the big fallen pine tree when I stumble upon the "piglet" which was (thankfully) allready dead (laying) on the trail - still manage to turn and face the way he came - ready for whoever was coming after him...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Nice Bayerisch you got

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Some piglet.

What's that, 125kg of bacon on the hoof?

Nice work from the little brown dog.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I will love to find his "father"...or any of his little brothers... Big Grin

Congrats to your friend !!!!
clapL

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mouse

Nice boar and am i correct in thinking that the dog is a Bavarian Blood Trailing Hound?

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...yes its a Bavarian one - 4 years old bitch - just came into hers thrustworthy stage...good eye Claret it weighted 114 kg...

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mouse

I thought so. Do you know Manfred Moser by any chance? Also how long do you think the tusks will measure. By the looks of things at least 20 cm's perhaps mid twenties?

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...huh sry I dont know the man - why?...and about tusks - they are 7 cm out so I´d speculate about 20 cm +- you never know till you took them out - we will see...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

mouse93 & your Dog......excellent work & congratulations to both of you.

Wow! If that's a piglet (did the shooter have his scope turned to 1.5X?) I'd really like to see the Momma's & Pappa's, can you arrange for some of those pig genes to get transfered to our Jagd Reviere?

Since we're all being very observant about your photo; is that Blaser Nachsuche barrel a 9.3x62 & Left-Handed or is the picture reversed?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mouse

Manfred is one of the judges/president of one of the clubs in Germany (i take it you are in Germany by the way?) and he is a friend of mine.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Gerry thank you - hehe genes are on the way Wink - you are dead on about the gun (not reversed)...Jon I am not from Germany tho I am judge as well and my Club has only partial (observer) membership in ISHV (International SchweissHund Verein)...mine judging activity is limited to Austria, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia for now tho it might be interesting to talk with someone further north Smiler...this is actually mine 3 rd tracking dog - I had 2 "hannoveraner" before this one - sadly one was mauled by simillar boar some 5 years ago and that one allmost got me too (we had some wrestling done) - must say thanks to someone above Roll Eyes...so ever since I feel relief after any tracking off boar or bear that is allready dead at the end...

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mouse

Where was this boar shot then (geographic location)?

They are excellent dogs by the way.

posted Hide Post
Mouse,

A very nice dog and a very nice boar too! I too would be interested to know the weight of the boar..
Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Jon - the boar was shot in Slovenia (30 km south of capital Ljubljana) and Pete it weighted 114 kg or aprox. 230 pounds - as stated above...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the first I have ever heard of a bavarian blood trailing dog, can anyone else give me some more info?

By the way, great story and great pictures, I can see why you were relieved that he was dead when you found him!

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Luke
in short...its a dog that is exclusively used for tracking wounded animals...it works on cold trail with "low" nose...his cousin or better his uncle and predecessor is Hanoverian whitch is mainly used in flatter terains (its biger and heavier) for tracking mostly boar and red deer, while Bavarian was breed mainly for higher mountain terrains - for chamois, red deer and boar...true quality appears in working on cold trail (3 + hrs old) when high step of concentraiton is shown - tracking can last for more days and tens of kilometers...so after tracking a wounded animal is found there are two options - either dead or alive...when alive you must release the dog to catch with the animal and loudly barks - usually the game move as far until it feels its safe from you - there it found a good terain (to cover its back) and dog must be there...the moment the game stops the barking change from higher (on the move) to lover howling like...when that happens you must silently, with good wind stalk within the range and give the animal "coupe de grace" or finishing shot...it might sound easy but to train the dog up to this grade there is a lot of work to be done, usually it takes 3-4 years before you have thrustworthy dog and you can hardly afford any mistakes in education...thats why you will see those dogs mainly in the hands of PH or very expirienced hunter...I know there is a member of AR named monastery forester that has a lot of expirience in that manner and I hope he will join too and give us his own view...

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil Mouse93

Congratulations to the hunter, tracker and hound.

I just thought I would add some pics of my Bavarian/Hannoverian cross. Fortunatly in the UK our wild boar are few and far between so the most viscious beast I have to contend with is muntjac deer but they can still injure dogs with their tusks.
I haven't bothered with fahrtenschuh training as it is not appropraite here in the UK but standard blood trailing at 48 hrs is going fine. As you said in the past post she only has two of her four legs so far.

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
MarkH

Is there a breeder in the UK or did you obtain your dog from the continent. Just curious as i thought it was a closed shop.

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Dear Jon

We have offered puppies in the past through the Shoting Times ( not from Lola as there is only one Hannoverian dog in the UK and thats her dad)My friend is bringing a Hannoverian dog over from Germany next year and hopefully we can breed from Lola then. She will never be in the league of mouse93 dogs as our hunting culture is different in the UK and there is no legal requirement for a cold scenting hound. I do find it however fun to work the dogs on every deer shot ( 1 per week) even though it is not necessary but it has proved useful in the past due to high brambles in dense woodland.
Drop a line ion the PM area for further info

Regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Do your dogs have any connection with the Bravarians Jan Andrews has/had?

I spoke to her at one of the Gamefairs a couple of years back and she stated that she was no longer breeding the dogs at that time...whether she's imported further dogs or simply changed her mind, I don't know...

How are the Bavarains for indicating deer while walking at heel?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Dear Pete

No these dogs have nothing to do with Jan who hates them with a passion you would not believe.Whether its because they are cross breeds or competition I do not know but each to their own. I am quite open about them being cross bred but that does not prevent the 'breed' from working and cross breed vigor is not always a bad thing from some of the pure breed Bavarian dogs I have seen.
By the way the Bavarian was bred from the Hannoverian anyway when a lighter bodied hound was required for the hunting of Gems etc
I have deliberatly tried to avoid training Lola on warm/air scent and always wait at least a minimum of a couple of hours before setting her on the scent. A cold scenting dog should avoid lifing its nose off the ground when working to reduce the risk of distractions. The vizla in another beast altogether and I use her to air scent fresh scent but her thin coat is not suited to long periods of waiting around in the winter before she starts to fidget.
I prefer to leave the dogs at home or at the farm until needed as stalking fallow means lots of eyes and ears looking out for danger.

Regards

Mark

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
hello Mark - thanks for congrats - its good to keep the Lola busy - since that is the best way to help her get the other 2 legs Wink ...oh and Pete - dog is great when stalking - it sure gives you the sign when game is present near by (with good wind up to several hundred meters) it helps in dence wooded areas, when so its better to left the dog in place at that time to continue the stalk alone and pick it up later on...when hunting on a stand, I just take the dog up Smiler with me to have a company tho sometimes it gets quite acrobatic...

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
mouse93

Thanks for this very interesting and informative thread.

Lovely dogs too.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I guess the chance of getting a dog like that in the US is not real likely.... Thanks again guys for the pics and all the great information!

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Big Grin

mouse93 & your Dog......excellent work & congratulations to both of you.

Wow! If that's a piglet (did the shooter have his scope turned to 1.5X?) I'd really like to see the Momma's & Pappa's, can you arrange for some of those pig genes to get transfered to our Jagd Reviere?

Since we're all being very observant about your photo; is that Blaser Nachsuche barrel a 9.3x62 & Left-Handed or is the picture reversed?

Another big Kieler whacked by a Blaser!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Wow, muntjac are steinboke sized, do they also cry when you whack one.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Dear D99

Not if you hit them in the neck at 10 yards. THey live in very dense bush but I managed to call it out using a Buttolo squeaker. In Feb we are organising a muntjac push-hunt like the wild boar hunts in Europe as these animals are becoming a real pest in the woods.

Regards

Mark

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Another big Kieler whacked by a Blaser!

Big Grin nono D thats my gun there - and it wasnt needed - Wink this time... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:

I prefer to leave the dogs at home or at the farm until needed as stalking fallow means lots of eyes and ears looking out for danger.

Mark,

My dog follows at heel 99.9% of the time. I find that if she is clocked by deer they generaly advance to check her out or hang around longer. I have walked bent over with her following a length behind in full view of roe who definately view us a doe/fawn combination and have staid put. Afte a while she got to read my body language and will lie down/hang back automaticaly when I approach a corner or start to crawl. I find her invaluable by my side even on my big arable field stalking.

posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for that...I have only spoken to Jan Andrews a couple of times and she does have, lets say "strong opinions" relating to all things stalking!

Luke,

If your looking for a good scenting dog just to follow a blood trail, have you thought about a beagle? I believe there are some very good working lines in the US...or what about one of those Pointing Labs that were being bred at one time over there? Never could see the reason for them on birds, but I bet they would make a super deer dog...

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
lets just say "nasty piece of work"

regards

griff

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Mouse

I thought so. Do you know Manfred Moser by any chance? Also how long do you think the tusks will measure. By the looks of things at least 20 cm's perhaps mid twenties?

I know of a Manfred Moser, here in France (Sarreguemines) but he has no Bayerischer Schweisshund)????????????
Coincidence?????, Confused

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
A very nice boar, nice tusks,

I think 85 kg dressed, not more than 4 years old?????????????????

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Smilerjust talked with friend - tusks mesaure 23 cm - 9,06 inches - its a keeper - and yes its not that old about 4-5 years old...can imagine the tusks if it would be some 7 + years old ... Wink tho who knows where he would be then? Big Grin

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Dear God - time Flies...sorry for expressions still bit stirred (not shaken tho).

Surprise indeed - just happened yet again...this morning stalking:

...was one of those mornings - you know - dog relieved itself on the door step...there was something in the air...rain stopped at 3 am or so...was stalking stag in the morning dusk.

You know that when you hear a twig snap while drops are falling from the trees that something big is around...was all that I needed...he was sneaking through undergrowth and was a pace away from the refuge of Cul The Sac...razorback and an ear was all I needed - sending 9.3 mm 293 gr high on the shoulder...oblivion.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
My what Frischling you have there in Slovenia. I'm gonna have to make it there someday. Well done mousee and Waidmannsheil Cool

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trained a few blood trailers nothing like them for following up wounded game.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weidemannsheil Mouse Smiler

A very nice boar.
Thank you for sharing.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsdank!

...busy weekend - back from a driven weekend in Croatia

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hell of a pigs Mouse
Congratulation
Nothing like Uspesny lov na prasata

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote