New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roe in the UK in Aug '18 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems like we are always imposing on our European members for advice-- sorry for another one of those posts!

I am supposed to be in the UK mid August with my family for my son's graduation trip. (My son wants to see a premier league game so any tips there are appreciated too)

I'd like to hunt roe deer if possible. Any recommendations for a 1-2 day hunt? Willing to travel up or down the British Isle.
Thanks!

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Check John Robinson of Yorkshire Deer Hunting. He takes 200 roe plus a year. Near Leeds. Worth it.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie-- thanks for the recommendation. I'll check with him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri ,who is a member here, is someone who could certainly help.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Heard good things of both Kiri and John Robinson.
Never had any dealings with them myself.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
These two links may also be useful:-

https://www.bds.org.uk/index.p...ciety/local-branches

https://www.thestalkingdirecto...alking-Opportunities

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses and ideas. They are appreciated.

One quick question-- When do roe deer in the UK shed their antlers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mid August is maybe not the best time to come - Roe rut at the end of July or the beginning of August. The rut is very intense but very short - a female Roe is only in oestrus for 12 hours in a year. The rut itself can be very productive - a Danish friend and I took 6 solid six point bucks in two outings last year (in northern Scotland) - but its very hit or miss. The timing is impossible to predict accurately (depends on area and weather) and for usually around 4,5, 6 weeks before and after bucks are normally very difficult to find and tend to hide away. They are very good at hiding....

Bucks lose their antlers around the turn of the year and will be in velvet until April - again depends on area.

quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Thanks for the responses and ideas. They are appreciated.

One quick question-- When do roe deer in the UK shed their antlers?

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kuwinda-- Thanks for the reply. I'd actually prefer a "Northern Scotland" hunt. As for the timing, I am just trying to squeeze in a hunt while on a family trip. I actually just want the experience of hunting in the UK, no guarantees of killing. It has been a dream of mine for over 3 decades. Just not sure if I'll make it back again after this trip. I appreciate the info.

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
MC

Have a look at the East Haugh House Hotel website. I have hunted Roe bucks with them and Red deer.

The hotel is lovely and the food it fantastic.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if that's what you were getting at but I am not an outfitter - I only cull deer for local estates - and do a little on side for my freezer!

I'd second the shout for the East Haugh Hotel - I have not stayed there but have friends who have and they were impressed. They are used to catering for hunters. Its also a very pretty area and easy to get to - between Perth and Pitlochry - with a lot of sites to see for "others"! They will also have Fallow - but often these are spoken for well in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Kuwinda-- Thanks for the reply. I'd actually prefer a "Northern Scotland" hunt. As for the timing, I am just trying to squeeze in a hunt while on a family trip. I actually just want the experience of hunting in the UK, no guarantees of killing. It has been a dream of mine for over 3 decades. Just not sure if I'll make it back again after this trip. I appreciate the info.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I will check into them.

Kuwinda- I was not trying to invite myself to hunt with you. Just that Northern Scotland, would be what I envision when hunting the UK. I also understand that my limitations also limit the experience. Thanks again.