THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    "Ground Squirrels" in Colorado?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ground Squirrels" in Colorado?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an invitation to shoot ground squirrels in Southwestern Colorado. My impression is that these are Richardson's Ground Squirrels, but all of the references I find indicate that the Richardson's variety are limited to ND, SD, MN, and MT (and prairie provinces of Canada) -- none in Colorado. So, does anyone know which variety these are? By the way, locals often errantly refer to them as prairie dogs, and the Richardson looks very much like a slightly smaller prarie dog.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I have an invitation to shoot ground squirrels in Southwestern Colorado. My impression is that these are Richardson's Ground Squirrels, but all of the references I find indicate that the Richardson's variety are limited to ND, SD, MN, and MT (and prairie provinces of Canada) -- none in Colorado. So, does anyone know which variety these are? By the way, locals often errantly refer to them as prairie dogs, and the Richardson looks very much like a slightly smaller prarie dog.
They are probably Wyoming Ground Squirrels.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

"formerly known as Richardsons ground squirrel"

No explanation of why the name change, but I assume it comports with the differentiation between subspecies.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought, but then I got to looking around and it turns out the two are actually different species.:
quote:
Wyoming ground squirrel (Urocitellus elegans). The similarity in appearance between Wyoming ground squirrels and Richardson’s ground squirrels is so great that for many years the Wyoming ground squirrel was considered to be a subspecies of the Richardson’s ground squirrel. However, genetic evidence, including a difference in numbers of chromosomes, justifies classification as a separate species. The Wyoming ground squirrel occurs in three distinct non-contiguous locations in the US, primarily in Montana/Idaho, Wyoming/Colorado, and Nevada.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No explanation of why the name change, but I assume it comports with the differentiation between subspecies.

Biologists can be classified as Lumpers and Splitters. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
quote:

Biologists can be classified as Lumpers and Splitters. Big Grin

Grizz
Oh yeah. You got that right! Smiler

In this case, I think "splitting" is the proper decision since the difference seems to include a difference in the numbers of chromosomes.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
They are indeed 'Wyoming Ground Squirrels', aka Richardson's Ground Squirrels. Have spoken with the CSU agent in the area. They backfilled 10-15 years ago when the plaque wiped out the whitetail PD's we have on the western slope. We still have whitetail PD's in places (around Grand Junction and west into Utah.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend from Montana showed me a neat trick to reduce the ground squirrel population. Since they're communal creatures and quite curious, you can use this to their disadvantage.

Fill a beer/soda can with pea gravel and sufficient water to fill it. Place the can on the mound near the borrow and set up with your rifle 100 yds out. When a group of rodents has gathered to investigate the curious object, shoot the CAN, and let the gravel do the work. Very effective!

Dave Manson

Posts: 683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fill a beer/soda can with pea gravel and sufficient water to fill it. Place the can on the mound near the borrow and set up with your rifle 100 yds out. When a group of rodents has gathered to investigate the curious object, shoot the CAN, and let the gravel do the work. Very effective!

Interesting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Think they call that SODA POP! Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Face it guys.

IT don't make a hell of a lot of difference what they're called.

They are all DIGGERS!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote