6.5x55 for varminting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How does this round do for varminting??

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
I've just started taking up varminting the last couple of years; started working up a load for my 6.5 Swede, and got a load using a 100 grain Sierra HP that groups 7/8" at 100 yards in my surplus 96. I think this will do the job! I think that the Swede will do just as good a job (with the right bullet) as the .25-06, ect. Good luck and good hunting!

<Aussie Hunter>
posted
Hi Nebraska,

I'm waiting for my 6.5 swede in a Sako Varmint model. I would say that 85-107gr would be a weight
range. With high BC's available in this calibre
you should have trouble. I had good success bunny
shooting with a 260 Rem 1 in 8" twist using the Sierra 107gr Match, easily got ~3200fps with good accuracy. I plan on using a wide variety of stuff in mine when it arrives. Good luck.
Aussie Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, I am going to load up some of these bulk 129gr HP's I bought from the Shooters warehouse in Canberra, initial accuracy is pretty good from my old swede M38. I am using 39 grains of AR2208, i realise 2209 is the optimum but I had to much AR 2208 on hand so thought I had better burn a bit.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also thinking of building a 6.6x55 on a either a ruger Number 1 or rem 700 with a bull barrel. I like the caliber a lot.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote