Find
Notify
Tools

Predator Hat Trick
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
I headed out west to our friend's ranch near Iraan, TX and met up with SHOOTER for the weekend. This was our first outing of the year in one of the high racks. SHOOTER has installed two sizes of Red LED Light Bars on the front of both of his trucks. They each have 3 brightness levels. They work great. You still need a spotting light for the sides and back to work with them. This was also my first chance to try the Bullet HD Electronic Caller created by our own Byron South and his new company, Convergent Hunting Solutions. To say the least, it worked great. We hunted 9:30 PM until 6:00 Am Friday and Saturday nights. We called in over 20 grey foxes and shot 10. We missed 4 and didn't get shots on the others. We also called in a bobcat, badger, and two raccoons. I shot 6 fox, a badger, and a bobcat (18.2 lbs.). SHOOTER shot 4 fox and a raccoon. He also missed about 118 shots, give or take. As much as I would like to, I can't say he really missed. We checked the AR he was using and found out is was shooting 4" low............not good, especially on grey foxes! After the adjustments were made, he started to live up to his board name again!!

I was using my new Savage 22-250 with a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 BDC shooting hand loaded Sierra #1365 55 gr. SBT's loaded with Ramshot Big Game and Winchester WLR primers.

For the most part, we only had to use two sounds: Cottontail Duo followed by "Byron's Go To" if needed. Out of 18 or so stands, we only 4 dry ones all weekend.

I got a Predator Hat Trick the first night: 4 Grey Fox, 1 Bobcat, 1 Badger.

Hat Trick

A few of my foxes.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to read another post from you. Great hunt!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I have been tied up getting moved to Hondo, Texas. I am pretty well settled in now and will be able to check in daily again.

Good Hunting!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Bob!
Must have been a blast, I have been so tied up lately that other then test firing or shooting for break in I have not fired a round at a live target in a couple of months. It's good to see someone getting to hunt.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great hunt tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive on down to Pearsol and talk to the guys at the Half Brothers ranch about hog hunting. They have about a thousand acres of truck farm and the hogs are really bad..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote