New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 12 ga loads for coyotes
 Login/Join

<DLS>
posted
I have been thinking of using my shot gun some this spring, since the folage can get quite thick. My shots may be quick and close in certain areas.

What;
1. loads does anyone reccomend
2. choke (for Browning Gold w/Inv.+ )
3. what kind of range (distance) can I expect to be able to reach out and touch 'em?

I have the rifle covered, but thought it would be cool to get them with a shotgun too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked a 3 in mag with no. 4 buck.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Listen to p dog shooter he's giving good advise.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 3 inch magnum load of #4s or BB with a modified or full choke would absolutley sh!tcan a coyote out to 35 yards or so.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A load of AAA's in just the normal 2 3/4" will do the trick as would 36 grams of BB shot from the 2 3/4 out to 30-35 yards with a fullish choke.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would go with Remington Hevi- Shit #4 you should be good to 40 or 50yds

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 00 buck or number 4 but slugs are pretty good too if youve got a sighted barrel, they are worth the extra, but #2 is pretty good, steel shot out of a long barrel will do wonders.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes with shotguns!!!!!!!!! You guys must live in a jungle. Out west we have to shoot at coyotes so far away that the average range is about 3 bounces. This is why we shoot round nose bullets. They bounce better and straighter.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Coyotes with shotguns!!!!!!!!! You guys must live in a jungle. Out west we have to shoot at coyotes so far away that the average range is about 3 bounces. This is why we shoot round nose bullets. They bounce better and straighter.

Ever consider something with just a little
flatter trajectory???

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
We have been having excellent results with T shot steel, and modified chokes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had excellent luck with 3 inch copper plated BB's.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used #5 shot with 32 grains of Herco,full choke. They roll up to 40 yards, I have always rolled them and then got close to get another one in sometimes its not needed. I live in wooded hill country so most shot are fairley close 30 yardsa or under. Works for me.

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
p dog nailed it-#4 buck with full choke-out to 40 yards

Good Calling,

Bob C.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting song dogs for fur in Oregon, and have used many different combos' but my favorite in 12ga. was #1 buckshot in a 3". We didn't have big holes and yet it dumps them quick.
Incidently, my closest shot was with a .257 Roberts. That was so close I had my Dad take several pictures so I could prove my story! I shot it in the earhole and had bits n pieces on my foot and on my barrel. The only reason I dare tell it is I do have pictures and I think he may have used one of them for his book. Overall I killed by far more with my .223 Mini-14 than the rest of the arsenal put together!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Browning as well...#4 buck in 3 inch works well.

Posts: 113 | Location: Hunter, Tx | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always had good luck with #2. Federal 3" 1 7/8 oz.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<2-blade>
posted
My brother&I shoot 50 to 100 coyotes a yr.about 50% with a shot gun.When we hunt together he has a 12ga #4buck I have a 220swift.when I call alone I have A 1100rem.cut to 20in.with cyl.bor and 2 3/4 #4buck.{ shoot till they stop moving.} And a 220swift .Ya I carry 2 guns most of the time when calling