New
Find
Notify
Tools

ID rockchucks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've pretty much shot most of the groundhogs available in WV (over 14,000) along with coyote help.
I "discovered" rockchucks in ID 4 years ago. Each year I kill a few more. This year was the best-363 in a week. Oh, forgot to mention I don't own any rifles! I only use handguns for all my hunting. This year it was a XP-100R in .22-250 and a .223 Contender, plus my suppressed Ruger MKIII (by SSK). The Ruger accounted for 75 of the total. I took 3 out of the same den with it in 5 minutes at 99 yards each!
Took 2 friends a week apart. They did several hundred. Farmers have spread the word about my results, and I keep getting new places each year. My 4 year total is now 785.
I'll try to post some pics.
Sorry. Could not do from photobucket. Help would be appreciated.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left: 3 chucks taken from this rock at 99 yards in 5 minutes with suppressed Ruger MKIII
Center: 29 of 60 chucks my friend and I shot in 90 minutes with .223AI XP and .223 Contender
Right: typical rock formation where chucks live. Took over 40 here in 3 days
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Some fine rock chuck hunting right there! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin, I really like the Ruger. Don't get me wrong I like all of the handguns that are shown in your pictures but the Ruger is special. Thanks for posting. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late and great Tony Barnes, built the finest custom sako pistols and was an avid rock chuck hunter out of Twin falls in the Snake River beghind his house..He kept books on the number of chucks killed without a miss, etc etc..

We hunted together for many years, me with my custom sako L-461 rifle in 6x45, and another in 222 Rem...In the snake river the updrafts moved bullets high and had a lot of fun watching guests shoot high, before we explained the updrafts...

Today I shoot about 25 to 30 a year under my barn and in my pasture, leave enough every year for seed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't look very happy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Elk and Deer hunt those mountains right behind you in the second picture.

so I know exactly where your standing.
I hunt rock chucks about 9-10 miles directly east and a smidge to the south of where your at.

a lot more walking than you do is involved for sure, but I got a lot more acreage to shoot over.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
You don't look very happy!

I noticed that too. That's great shooting, but when I'm doing something fun I can't help but smile once in a while.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people say I smile all the time but-----IT'S JUST GAS ! Big Grin archer Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm always serious when I hunt even if I'm having fun. These pics were on day #8 hunting. My old body and my trigger finger were sore!

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
I'm always serious when I hunt even if I'm having fun. These pics were on day #8 hunting. My old body and my trigger finger were sore!

Heck ya, by day 8 I would have been all smiled-out too!
You had a helluva shoot there mister!

You kind of motivated me to check zero on my 30-30 contender. Still shoots like a champ. I'm going to take it out for whitetail. We shall see if the deer cooperate next week and if I can still do my part in the field.

Zeke