THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    204 Ruger and Blue Dot Range Report

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger and Blue Dot Range Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
First I wish to sincerely thank Capt Dave Funk for his donation of a take off Ruger Barrel that allowed this testing to be done...his forum member handle is f224

His website is www.BlaserPro.com

Thanks Dave! this is dedicated to you!
Seafire and Seafire Jr..
beer

204 Ruger and Blue Dot

Rifle used: Ruger 77 Mk 2

Barrel: 22 inches

Primer used: Winchester Small Pistol

Bullets used: Hornady 32 and 40 grain V Maxes.

32 grain Vmax:

5grs: 1588 fps
6grs: 1849 fps
7grs: 2012 fps
8grs: 2300 fps
9grs: 2472 fps

10grs: 2709 fps
11grs: 2890 fps
12grs: 3012 fps
13grs: 3212 fps
14grs: 3372 fps

40 grain Vmax

6grs: 1734 fps
7grs: 1966 fps
8grs: 2197 fps
9grs: 2321 fps

10grs: 2546 fps
11grs: 2709 fps
12grs: 2874 fps
13grs: 2892 fps
14 grs: 3140 fps

Starting charges were determined based on work with the 223 cartridge.

Both bullet weight’s charges were stopped at 14 grains, as going higher didn’t show any real increase in velocity but did show pressure signs starting.

Accuracy was what I have come to expect with Blue Dot.

Small pistol primers were used based on availability.. this was done during a nationwide primer shortage. Small rifle primers would not show any potential increase in velocity or pressure, based on experience with the 223 case.

As always a prudent handloader will work up to max charges, to make sure they are safe in their rifle.

This is presented as for academic review only, as I can not be responsible for other people’s handloading procedures.

If the lighter charges are used, I recommend charging a case and seating the bullet first, before going onto the next cartridge as this will eliminate the potential of a double charge.

With a max of 14 grains per case, a pound of Blue Dot will yield powder for 500 rounds of ammo.

Seafire
February 2008.

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a .20 practicle with the 32 grain v-max would be really sweet!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my 204 and need some reduced load data using IMR 4227. I notice it is a bit slower than Blue dot. Do you think a start load of 11 grains of IMR 4227 would be good?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I have found IMR 4227 to be a good powder in the 223... starting at 11 grains sounds like a light load but that translates as safe..

I'd work up slowly in small increments.. like 3/10s of a grain at most...

with a 32 grain bullet, I'd think that max is going to exist in the 15 to 16 grain range...

The only reasons I don't use more of it myself, is availability locally and also that I had such good success with Blue Dot....

but if Blue Dot was no longer available.. IMR 4227 would be the first powder I would reach for...

when I get a 17 Fireball barrel.. IMR 4227 is going to be one of the first powders I am going to look at trying out...

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to my gunshop to get a pound of Blue dot a week ago and he had stopped selling any of the Alliant powders. Not even RL15 or 22! I have used IMR 4227 in many cartridges for light loads, a favorite in the 223 was 14 grains using any 45 grain bullet. I4227 is bulky enough to easily tell if you have double charged and usually gives good accuracy.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
To the Seafire Boys!

Glad it's a shooter, let me know how long the barrel lasts. I always enjoy reading your Bluedot loading articles.

beer

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave,

I set it up where it will be a switch barrel on a Ruger of course.. it will see maybe a 1000 rounds a year.. so it will outlast Seafire himself, and Seafire JR will enjoy it for quite a while..

It will be used as a walking varminter and a coyote chaser...

Thanks a million once again!

John Quincy Adams