New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any lubricant for steel and plastic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This really fits comfortably in no subforum. So I'll rely on general and universal expertise. Smiler

I have a pocket knife whose frame is Zytel®. Its blade has become very "stickie" and requires substantial force to open. I've thoroughly cleaned the knife and applied with a needle a droplet of Extreme Duty CLP at joint. Now the blade is still stickie and the knife smells.

Please identify a lubricant that will actually reduce friction between blade steel and plastic frame.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corrosion Block, a penetrate lubricant by Lear Chemical Research. A small bottle will last you 'til the cows come home.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
graphite

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Krytox.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to first put the knife in the silverware bin of the dishwasher and run it through a cycle to see if there is some sort of coating in the handle causing excess friction. I'd probably keep an eye on the dishwasher and pull the knife out before it starts the drying cycle.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7754 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote