New
Find
Notify
Tools

What wad do you prefer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've used the vegetable fiber wads from John King in some of my BPCR handloads, but hear a lot of good things about low-density polyethylene wads. What is your experience?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 14352 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vegetable wads have always worked well for me, sometimes (using paper patch bullets) combined with a grease cookie made of SPG surrounded with milk carton discs.

After cleaning out the revolting remains of plastic shot cups from BP shotgun barrels I never tried plastic again.

Posts: 796 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I have not heard complaints about the poly wads in BPC rifles, but am familiar with the mess the plastic shot cups make in a black powder smoothbore. Never again.

– John Green, author

Posts: 14352 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vegetable fibre is just a fancy name for gasket paper wads; after all, they are made from "vegetables). Paper.
That is what I use; either the thin or thick ones; doesn't seem to make any difference. From Buffalo arms.Forgot who made them.
Poly? I never used them but see no reason to even try.

Posts: 14330 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. Buffalo Arms carries the Walters wads. I have some in .40 and .45; will order some in .50.

– John Green, author