New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPCR Muzzle Crown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are the muzzle crowns on a BPCR cut in the same fashion as a centerfire rifle? In the event that I find a good rifle, but the barrel is 32-34", I may want to have it taken down to 30". I have a gunsmith that makes benchrest rifles, but I didn't know if the crown design on a BPCR was different than what he'd be accustomed to.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the crown is the same. You might want to consider carefully whether you want to shorten a Shiloh or Pedersoli barrel, though. Both are made with a slight taper choke in the last four inches or so of the muzzle and you will be removing a good portion of that.

I will add that I once shortened the barrel on a BPCR I have from 30 to 28 inches, and it did not affect the accuracy. However, that barrel did not have taper choke in it in the first place. That particular rifle is very accurate, BTW.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG, good to know, and something to consider, for sure. Checking with the manufacturer first would be the way to go.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can look at various BPCRs and see a wide variety of crowns.

Browning BPCRs used 2 different crowns. One is pretty much a counterbore the other looks like a soup bowl.

Some are faced flat. The edges of the octagon flats have a tiny edge break and the bore has a tiny edge break.

I have seen some that have the typical radius of a hunting rifle and it looks silly on a heavy barrel.

I am sure you have your own opinions of what a good crown looks like. Just make sure your gunsmith will indicate the barrel in straight and on center.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both are made with a slight taper choke in the last four inches or so of the muzzle and you will be removing a good portion of that.

Please reply where you obtained that information ? concho

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
concho--Check the 50-70 and 50-90 Sharps barrel thread. Your question is answered there.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post