THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
HiWall 45-70
Ballard 32 Long
Stevens 44 1/2 - 35-40 Maynard & 38-55 Ballard

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
This forum is pretty quiet, and my sense is that the BPCR game hit its high water mark sometime in the recent past. But I still love the smoke rings and the thundering booms and all the little nuances that make shooting a Sharps or rolling block or High-wall or Ballard such a unique pleasure among the shooting sports.
I hope to get busy with my plain-vanilla Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70 here real soon.
If you are shooting, what are you shooting?

Cool

Posts: 22 | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection sir! That Ballard .32 Long intrigues.
Are your 44 1/2 barrels from CPA?

beer

The language of God is science.

Posts: 13044 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still do, always have. 45-70--three Shilohs-- a couple of Shiloh 45-110s, a 40-70 Sharps straight, and a 40-65. A couple of the 45-70s and one of the 45-110s have been to Africa, and I have taken game with all of them with ladder barrel sights and cast lead paper patched bullets. Distances have ranged from 50 to 547 yards and the bullets almost always give complete pass through. About a dozen have been taken in excess of 300 yards. These rifles WORK if you learn how to use them, and I frankly have no desire to hunt with any rifle other than a Sharps.

Posts: 789 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
LOL....good on you Jerry! I've often wondered what that 8 bore had been up to. Glad to hear you're using it the way it was meant to be used.

You bet degoins, the buck mentioned earlier was facing West when I hit him though the shoulders firing dew North, one would think when he fell I'd be looking at his hooves, I was looking at his backline, that 8 Bore ball bowled him over, not a twitch.

The doe was hit at 15 yards through the shoulder on a hard quartering in angle, ball exited right ham out back, again, drop, not a twitch, the pig got knocked over at 30 yards with a through and through double shoulder hit, his back legs bicycled 100 mph for a few seconds, he never got up.

I really need to take that thing up North for a Bull Moose hunt, I don't believe even an 1800 lb Bullwinkle could contain one of those balls. Cool

Great stories Jerry!! By all means go kill a moose with that bad boy.....and of course give us report with pictures.

When I had that rifle, I found it easy to carry and not bad at all to shoot...even from the bench.

That would indeed be a hunt of a lifetime to 8 Bore a bull Moose, and yes sir, a full report would be provided, pics and video would cap a great adventure afield.

Posts: 667 | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used an 1885 Winchester HW in 45-60 for many years that was made in 1887. Still accurate 30 in full octagon. Last serious shot a 400 GR FP silenced a coyote permanently at about 60 yds. Something very unusual about this 45-60, as it will chamber and shoot 45-70s. Someone decided to slightly lengthen
the chamber.

Also have a 30 inch Shiloh Sharps-45 2.1- with Axtell Mid-range Vernier sight. Great rifles.

PS-If you want to read more activity about SS rifles, look up the Shiloh Forums and the ASSRA forum. Good shootin.

Posts: 81 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post