New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selecting a Spotting Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First off, I want to make it clear that my intent in posting this is not to seek advice for myself. But if you have VALUABLE advice to offer for readers, I’m sure it will be welcomed. I’ve done the research and have narrowed the decision down to two, possibly three scopes and thought I’d share the information.

So, to start and based on comments from several experience shooters, I decided on a scope with at least an 80mm objective lens, preferring 100mm if possible. True or not, the general consensus was, a spotting scope with at least an 80mm objective lens was required to provide sufficient light gathering to successfully see and determine the changes in the mirage. In addition I set a maximum budget of $500, hopefully less (not including a tripod). Hence, my budget eliminated higher priced models from suppliers such as: Leica, Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, Kowa, Vortex and even Vanguard, leaving a couple of 100mm scope suppliers (Celestron Ultima 100 #52252, 22-66x100mm, Konus (Konuspot 100) #7122, 20-60x100mm) and several 80mm suppliers including the Bushnell LEGEND ULTRA, HD 20-60x 80mm 45°, with BaK-4 prisms and ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) glass. In my estimation it’s the highest quality of the ones I considered. BTW, having used spotting scopes with straight eyepieces and 45 degree angled eyepieces, I prefer an angled eyepiece and the ability to rotate the scope on the tripod mount to use for both offhand and prone. As an example, the Leupold 20-60x80mm SX1 Ventana did not make the list since it cannot be rotated on the tripod mount.

The Celestron #52252 is around $260, the Konus approximately $300 and the Bushnell Legend is listed on Amazon for $435. Other than the size of the objective lens and glass/light transmission quality, all three have almost identical specification. All are waterproof, have identical eye relief (a concern since I wear glasses) & the weights are very close. The exit pupil is determined by the magnification & objective lens diameter, therefore the 100mm scopes have a slight advantage. If I was a “birder” and very accurate color transmission was of high importance for viewing and photography, I’d pick the Bushnell Legend or even a more expensive scope with HD (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass & BaK-4 prisms. But in my estimation, for BPCR target shooting, the Celestron & Konus models discussed are more than adequate for the task. BTW, all have lifetime warranties.

I have not made a final decision at this time but I’m leaning towards the Konus. FWIW, I found that the best site by far to identify the various manufactures, models and compare specifications is http://www.opticsplanet.com/, which also offers excellent prices. I also ran across a good video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVupGY58q4M) comparing the Celestron and Konus 100mm scopes. In this case the comparison was to a Celestron straight eyepiece scope but the comments should hold for the angled eyepiece version. As to my earlier findings and comments, no doubt there will be readers with differing opinions.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"differing opinions..."; ya think?

This ain't no can, this is a 55 gallon drum of worms.

If the budget can stand it, I would look hard for a pair of high-X magnification binoculars. The astronomy magazines have ads for many different brands.

For many years I owned a set off a Japanese warship, WWII era. I went shooting with two members of a government agency tasked with security at a nuclear facility a couple of times, back in the early '90's.

They eventually beat me down on price and I sold the binos to one of them.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what distances or for what purpose you intended to use this scope, but I'm assuming target.

I would watch eBay and see if you can catch a Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. in 20 or 25X. I have one in 20X and it can resolve 30 cal bullet holes at 200 yds.. I don't have access to anything farther, so can't comment on it beyond that. Those old Rochester built B&L's were the standard for a long time and you can usually pick one up on eBay for well under $200.

the downside is, I have never seen one with an angled eyepiece. I'm not saying they never made one, I just have never seen one. I believe they came in 15, 20, 25, and 30X and eyepieces show up every now and then.

There is a Balscope 30-60 zoom model out there, but from what i have heard they are not as good as the old fixed power models.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Group of High Power shooters in my area and some not wanting to spend the dollars on a Kowa scope went with the Kona and I wondered if they had spent their money wisely, but after trying one of theirs it is a serviceable spotting scope for the investment. Not a Kowa, but fraction of the cost. Angled eye piece is a big plus feature for the prone position and as for a stand check out the Freeland three legged system, no weight to lug around, very stable.
Champion Shooters Supply is supplier for those and good folks to seek guidance for any sort of shooting sports optics or equipment of any sort.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may not qualify on this thread as I use my vortex to hunt with and sight in rifles..I have it taped into and old Mauser stock, the stright round scopes sit fine in the action mortis. and cut the stock off at the end of the scope just past the recoil lug area, screw in a set of swivels with a sling and pack it behind your back on where ever..Use the scope like a rifle, shoulder and look for what ever, rest it on a rock like your taking a shot..Just another use for a spotting scope, and very handy..I only bother when trophy hunting and sighting in, otherwise a set of 8x30 Leicas suit me just fine. For my use most any spotting scope will work, Im just looking to size up a set of horns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post