Find
Notify
Tools

How many hunt with your BPCR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The obligatory dead critter pic:

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, culling Does takes on a much different interest level when done with a Sharps, doesn't it!

Posts: 20072 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. When the smoke cleared there she was on the ground. Not a long shot but very satisfying since it was with a bullet I cast and a case full of black powder!

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was with a bullet I cast and a case full of black powder!

The only way to load 'em! :-)

Posts: 20072 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, you should contact Bill Goodman it you want a new Shiloh and don't want to wait. He has several on order that you can still make. Changes to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a #1 Sporter, 30" heavy octagon, 45-70. Nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two bison in South Dakota were shot with a 4-bore double at less than 30 yards. One with a ball and 440 grains of FFg and the other with (cough) 120 grains of Blue Dot and the same ball. I didn't need all that power but it was indeed fun.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Blue dot? Banished from the BPCR forum!!!!!! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
My two bison in South Dakota were shot with a 4-bore double at less than 30 yards. One with a ball and 440 grains of FFg and the other with (cough) 120 grains of Blue Dot and the same ball. I didn't need all that power but it was indeed fun.
Cal

Cal, how did you get within 30 yards of a bison while dragging such artillery, unless you were in a South Dakota feed lot?
I have shot bison twice on game farms (Nebraska and Kentucky) and they were quite feral and skittish in their behavior, had to sneak up on them.
If you did it by stalking on foot or by belly crawl, it must have been quite the respectable feat of muscle and stealth. Or ambush from a blind?
Did you chase it down on horseback and fire from the saddle?
I am pretty sure you did not fire from prone. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, 120gr of Blue Dot would have me coughing too. While the doctor held on to my semi-detached left one in his office.

if things work out, the Elmer Keith Farmingdale Sharps 45-90 will be stalking Eland around Christmas time in Texas. I would prefer RSA, but the idea of all that delicious meat is too tempting to pass up.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland are great eating, for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine took an eland in Namibia in 2006. He was using a Shiloh 45-100 loaded with a 540 grain paper patched bullet and 100 grains of Goex 1F. IIRC, he was shooting a flat nosed bullet and broke a rib going in and the offside shoulder. He did not get a complete pass through, which surprised me somewhat. I do remember him saying it was a one shot kill.

You will have an absolute blast on your trip in Texas. I for one want to know how it turns out.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
... if things work out, the Elmer Keith Farmingdale Sharps 45-90 will be stalking Eland around Christmas time in Texas. I would prefer RSA, but the idea of all that delicious meat is too tempting to pass up.

quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
You will have an absolute blast on your trip in Texas. I for one want to know how it turns out.

Ditto.
I too would jump at the chance to go to Texas for eland meat, to be quickly frozen and bakkied home in coolers for processing.
I did that with a bison from Nebraska. Worked great. Yum. A BPCR used for it would be the icing on the cake. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal, how did you get within 30 yards of a bison while dragging such artillery, unless you were in a South Dakota feed lot?
I have shot bison twice on game farms (Nebraska and Kentucky) and they were quite feral and skittish in their behavior, had to sneak up on them.
If you did it by stalking on foot or by belly crawl, it must have been quite the respectable feat of muscle and stealth. Or ambush from a blind?
Did you chase it down on horseback and fire from the saddle?
I am pretty sure you did not fire from prone. Wink

RIP:
Good shot(s).
Triple U Buffalo Ranch in SD in 2010. Where Dances With Wolves was filmed. 60K acres of rolling plains. Bison were not skittish at all. I guessed it was like the old days where they just stood around. Not a challenging hunt at all but in the 1860s they were not much of a challenge, either. Most interesting thing was when a bison was down the others became very aggressive toward the shot animal.
Sorry, no feed lot, no muscle or stealth, no blind, nor horseback. I do appreciate your efforts.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post