New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spencer carbine hunting loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got one of the Armi-Sports in .56-50 and load a 350-grain .515 bullet over about 35 grains of black in Starline .56-50 brass. I haven't recently chronographed these, but expect something in the 900s for speed.
Another Spencer shooter mentioned he is using Magtech 32-gauge brass shotshells, appropriately shortened, and gaining 5-10 grains more powder space. Look forward to working up some heavier hunting loads with the the 32-gauge brass -- for possible deployment at cow elk under 100 yards this winter.

The language of God is science.

Posts: 13044 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whaaat? I thought sure there would be dozens of Spencer shooters here!

hilbily

Posts: 13044 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had one.
Just load it full of black powder; you know how to do it. Whatever brass you have.

Posts: 12337 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, yes, I can get about 35 grains of Old Eynesford FFg into the Starline case under a 350-grain bullet, with moderate compression. Ordered two boxes of the Magtech 32-gauge stuff and can't wait to trim some to length and measure water capacity. The Starline holds 48.3 grains, if anyone cares.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those unfamiliar with the .56-50 Spencer, it is essentially the stubby older brother of the .50-70 Government. that's a 350-grain .515 slug next to it.

fullsizeoutput_1014 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 32 Gauge Magtech brass arrived. I trimmed one and checked water capacity -- 57 grains vs. 48.3 in the Starline for a 15 percent gain.
The Starline brass has a solid web at the case head, vs. very much like the old balloon-head case web in the Magtech shotgun brass. I expect the latter to be just fine with compressed BP for hunting loads.
The meplat on that 350-grain .515 slug is .31. Wish it were larger, but that's still not bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold the phone on the case capacities. I full-length sized both the Magtech case and the once-fired Starline .56-50 case in an RCBS die. Resulting water capacities are 45.5 grains for the Starline and 53.7 for the Magtech -- a very useful 18 percent increase.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...
Let's see the friggin rifle!!

Posts: 2214 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heh.
fullsizeoutput_e43 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are cool!
How are they for cleaning? Always wondered about that.

Posts: 2214 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bad, in my experience.