New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitable bullet for loading a Snider?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My dad has a Snider that we are playing with, but can not find a suitable bullet. The bore slugs at about 0.601 inches. A standard .58 caliber minnie ball will not obturate enough to work, even cast with straight lead. We have been using .620 round balls run through a sizing die, but would like to find a better alternative. Anyone know of a factory mold that will work, or are we stuck having to have a custom mold cut?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3429 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some company must make cast bullets for the Snider, I would think. Did they typically run that much over bore specs?

Posts: 17904 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need to cast your own bullets

Accurate Molds

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might drop Boomer moulds an e-mail. Good moulds at a good pricr but shipping out of Canada will run about $20.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 20 May 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I am planning to cast my own, I just need a suitable mold.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3429 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loud: RCBS used to offer an oversize minie mold that cast about .592 and this mold has given good service to a lot of the Snider gang. Go over to the Yuku British Militaria forums. Lots of great Snider source info there.

The language of God is science.

Posts: 13062 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cast Bullet Engineering makes a range of bullets for the Snider. We have been using the CCBB 420gn for some time and it is very accurate!

http://www.castbulletengineeri...lds/rifle/577-snider

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

posted Hide Post
Track of the wolf sells .600 round balls and molds for same. Lots of fun!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I already have round balls since I shoot three .62-caliber muzzleloaders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this..Tom's molds are great and he's a pleasure to work with. Second link is entire page.

http://accuratemolds.com/bulle...bullet=60-445B-D.png

http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=13

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well shoot....just saw how old this post is. I expect you have it all figured out by now.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot this 10 shot group at 75 yards with the CBE 480gn CCBB just this last weekend! (5-10's, 1-9, 4-8's)

http://www.castbulletengineeri...single-cavity-copy-1

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a mold for the traditional Snider button bullet in .587-inch. which is what the bore slugs at. My starting load with bullets cast of pure lead, and using 85 grains of black powder grouped about 18 inches at 50 yards. I will next try 20:1 lead:tin and 70-grains of powder. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paper patch a 525 grain .585 diameter bullet up to .598/.600 and shoot them in my Mk III. Not a tack driver but will shoot minute of coffee can at 100 yards.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post