New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkish Twist Gamemaster Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This is a 4 bar Turkish twist hunting knife blade. Each bar has 36 layers, then each bar is twisted. Two of them are twisted to the right and two are twisted to the left. They are then staggered so the twist oppose each other. Then those 4 bars are forge welded to each other.
You have to forge it so the bottom layer stays on the bottom all the way to the tip and the top bar fades away about an inch or so from the tip. Look at it a bit and you can see where the bars are and where they run. That is the one thing you look for on multi bar twist, does the pattern run out in the belly or half way up the upsweep or does the bottom run all the way.

This type of pattern is the most difficult that I do. It takes the most time, it has the highest loss of material, I lose in excess of 60% or better of the steel that I start with.

I have a small U tube channel, I show part of doing this blade but the last portion is in the can waiting till my wife had time to edit it and post it up.

For the rest of this knife, the client wanted Curly Koa wood. He did not care on the guard as long as it had some engraving so I will attempt for the first time to make a Damascus guard then engrave it then etch it and see what happens, My guess is not much good but we will see. I will use fewer shading lines and those that I do use I will cut a bit deeper. The "sides" of the guard will be the "End" grain of the Damascus, or what you normally see on the spine so it will not etch as deep as the face of the guard. It is something I have been wanting to try.

This knife is going to a South American Hog Hunter.
If any of you have any questions about this type of Damascus let me know.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JF,

That pattern is hypnotic!

Even more fun seeing it after watching your you-tube vid.

Somebody looks like they are havin' a ball. LOL

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome - Jerry you are doing some neat stuff there!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice how long is the blade

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog, the blade is 5 inches long.
On the top of the blade, you will notice a bevel, that makes the knife cut better on deep cuts. Very simple but it makes a difference.
GW, I always have fun.
Thanks TX

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

GW, I always have fun.

I can tell that you do!!!!

and I'll keep a sharp eye pealed

for your next installment.

tu2

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote