Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "Brusletto"??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK knife experts. What do I have here? I've been dragging it around with me for the last 20yrs. I believe the cover is Pewter.

So what is it and if I was going to part with it what would a value range be?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.ragweedforge.com handles Brusletto knives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a Finnish/Scandinavian knife style known as "puukko" which is more or less a traditional everyday carry hunting/general use knife.

Many puukkos have laminated steel blades. Currently the Bruslettos (Norway) are made with non-lam blades I believe. Not sure about older models like yours.

I'd say your puukko was some kind of "presentation" set, possibly made for the tourist trade or collectors. Not knowning anymore about it than I do, I'd think it would be worth somewhere between $75 and $150, probably near the upper middle of that range. Generally speaking "real" puukkos seem to perform better in the field than one might expect from their looks.

BTW I've bought some knives from Ragnar, nice guy to do business with.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many puukkos have laminated steel blades. Currently the Bruslettos (Norway) are made with non-lam blades I believe. Not sure about older models like yours.

Thansk Mete & Gatogordo for the info.

As to the laminated blade is that a good thing, bad thing, or just a thing? Big Grin Looking at the back edge of the blade it APPEARS to me looking through a glass that there are three layers. The two outside are about half the thickness of the inner.

Since this was from Norway I asked Lakelander if he knew anything and this was his info.

I found some info on your knife. It's sort of a semi-custom knife. The knife itselfe is made by Brusletto, but the rest is made by a Norwegian goldsmith. They still make this knife today and new ones costs 1490,- Nkr or about 250 USD

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's laminated you should be able to see a distinct line which I don't see it the photo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Laminating is a process whereby a harder (tempered and usually different steel) is sandwiched between two softer, more malleable steels. The general theory was that the outside steels kept the "edge" steel from breaking under stress. How much good that would be under normal use is debatable. It does allow the maker to use a higher tempered (harder) blade for the middle layer than he could if the whole blade was tempered so hard as to be brittle.

Modern American knifesmiths have pretty much perfected a process of differential tempering which does more or less the same thing and allows knives so made to be bent quite severely without breaking. I hate to really try to get into this with mete on the thread, since he knows steels and the processes I'm describing much better than I ever will.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's laminated you should be able to see a distinct line which I don't see it the photo

Confused You got me. Like I said I can see what looks like seam lines along the back edge and what looks like a temper edge along the front.

I won the thing about 20 yrs ago on a customer appreciation trip. Since then it has just been moved with me and placed in a new drawer. Nice size and I would have used it if it wasn't for the pewter sheath.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brusletto.no/

here's another scandinavian alternative:
http://www.fallkniven.com/en

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote