Find
Notify
Tools

What Angle do you Sharpen At
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Wondering what is the most popular angle for an all purpose belt knife like my Randall, Marbles, or Helle. Seems I read somewhere that kitchen knives which get similar use in my experience are best at 10-18 degrees. I may have an 18 or 20 degree option on my sharpeners but nothing less. If you had one angle to use, what is it. Thanks.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
standard here usa is 20 deg euro 15 deg

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
How do the two knives angles compare as far as edge holding goes with a 15 against a 20 degree sharpen. Has anyone done a comparison in actual use. Why do the euro makers sharpen at 15 degrees. Is there a steel preference in use that dictates one angle over another.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really should vary on each individual knife. Basically you want as steep an angle as possible without the edge rolling over.

A kitchen knife used on fruit and tomatoes can have a steeper angle than one you'll be chopping meat with for example.

20deg give or take is a good starting point for a hunting or all around knife.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I sharpen a lot of wood carving tools and have to use several angles depending on the hardness of the wood I am cutting.
You can start at 20 degrees and if the blade looks like it will hold an edge you can drop it to 18 or 15.
I have one henkel trapper that is only 5 degrees on each side and it will cut pine all day.

Posts: 15 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The knife comes with an angle on the edge. You need to maintain that angle.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I use 25° on the M21 I use for cutting cardboard boxes, strapping, etc., as it keeps the edge longer, though not as sharp initially.
Hunting knives get 20° & kitchen knives 15°

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
For what its worth I set my stone up at 72deg so I can hold the knife vertical to get an 18deg edge and use the crox sticks at 20deg for finishing.Seems to work well for all my knives whether hunting - skining - dressing out and kitchen work as well.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote