Find
Notify
Tools

HWLK
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I call it my Hard Working Little Knife. We'll see if it lives up to it's name these next few months as I hope to find some deer willing to submit to my testing program. Big Grin

Ready to hunt:

O-1 tool steel, stock removal, heat treated by myself (a first)
Hand rubbed to a 600 grit finish
South Texas mesquite with Danish oil finish
My first sheath

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Well it took a nice 8 point mule deer down to quarters and parts for packing out of the New Mexico desert last week. It was still shaving sharp at the end of the process so I think it is a keeper! Big Grin It is a dream to carry too, as after 3 days of hiking ridge lines and canyons even your shoelaces are too heavy. I never noticed this on my hip.

The design really worked, but probably tops out at big deer, and with a few tweaks (slightly more space between the front of the handle and the start of the edge, a thong hole and lanyard, a deeper pouch sheath for even better retention, and better pin spacing for the front pin) I plan to make a few to sell. Anyone think they would buy a knife like this in either O-1 or ATS34 if it were priced in the $150 (say plus or minus $25 for finish, steel type, and handle scale options) range?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
with a few tweaks (slightly more space between the front of the handle and the start of the edge, a thong hole and lanyard, a deeper pouch sheath for even better retention, and better pin spacing for the front pin) I plan to make a few to sell. Anyone think they would buy a knife like this in either O-1 or ATS34 if it were priced in the $150 (say plus or minus $25 for finish, steel type, and handle scale options) range?

YES! Let me know if you do!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote