Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Guys Think of Buck Knives?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted
I'm new here but want to ask if it's ok. I've never been able to afford much else but have always been pleased with them. I have a folding Hunter and a fixed blade hunter (with the black handle and silver spacers and black leather sheath) that have always served me well for 30 years. They've always done the job so why would I need an expensive custom knife?

One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of Case pocket knives that I really like. A guy in my deer camp has a beautiful Case fixed blade with the leather handle but I think it was fairly costly, nice knife though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Bucks for a bit longer than you and love them. Never had a need for anything custom. For what I have needed a knife for, a Buck is more than up to the job.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck Naked:
I'm new here but want to ask if it's ok. I've never been able to afford much else but have always been pleased with them. I have a folding Hunter and a fixed blade hunter (with the black handle and silver spacers and black leather sheath) that have always served me well for 30 years. They've always done the job so why would I need an expensive custom knife?

The answer is, obviously, you don't. If you're satisfied with the knives you have then by all means keep using them.

Most people who like/buy/collect custom knives don't NEED them, they just like to own, sometimes use (many never see anything but the case or sheath they are in) them, and have the pride of ownership of having a handmade item that very few others have, and many don't understand. The same reasons as why some people like, sometimes use, and buy expensive custom or factory guns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The Buck factory is within normal errand running distance from my house and I haven't bought a knife from them in a long time. I think there are better choices much of the time.

They do make some out of better steel than 420 but they are usually more money. One I used but that wasn't mine, was a Cabelas branded knife made by Buck that had an S30v blade. I thought it held a very good edge. They also do others in limited runs of higher quality steel. I'm on the waiting list for a "punk" and "thug" from their factory blems. They are out of 1095 and seem to be made to use and abuse without being as expensive as a custom.

There are some knifemakers that offer very good knives for just a little more.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had a few but prefer SOGs and Benchmade's now. Better steel.

Posts: 13 | Location: Harm's Way | Registered: 10 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've got a Vanguard Zipper that is everything I need in a deer skinning/dressing knife. Holds an edge very nicely.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are well satisfied with Buck Knives. I personally collect Randall, Ruana, and Treeman Knives; but carry and use a Buck 110 and a Case 54 pattern trapper. The fixed blades are fun to own and look at, but the folders are much more practical for my purposes.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 23 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 19 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with Randalls. Can you tell me more about Ruana and Treeman knives? I have not heard of them before.

Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up with folding Buck pocket knives and still have a couple of 110s although I've switched to folding Gerbers for everyday carry and custom made Doziers for hunting and enjoyment.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of custom knives but when I go hunting I carry a couple of Buck knives. They've always done what I needed.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have never liked Buck knives. thumbdown For me, when not using one of my custom knives, my hunting go-to knives has always been a Gerber, Boker, Kershaw or Case. tu2 Each to his own. As the saying goes, what's one man's treasure is another man's trash, and vice versa. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Buck knives that I use as every day carry, one in particular. They do good duty and I think I will sell my custom knives. I never use them and the last time I looked at them was months ago.

I have a couple of Rob Brown, two Mick Russel and some other knives by members of the Knifemakers Guild.

I would appreciate it if someone could point out a popular place to advertise them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right here in AR Bay is a great place to advertise them for sale. Big Grin Put them up and let's see what you've got.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course. I will dust them off, do some photos and get them up over the weekend. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like knives. I have a number of knives by other manufacturers, most of which have been mentioned here; I have a number of custom knives.

The two most important knives to me are the Buck Stockman I received for my 16th birthday, and a Buck Folding Hunter, that was also a gift, but I can't remember the occasion.

Buck still makes good knives.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 110 at the Camp Pendleton PX before I went to Vietnam, think it was 10 or 12 dollars. I carried it (along with the issue K-Bar) for my 13 mo. tour and it served me quite well. I still have and use both the Buck and the K-Bar.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Buck was the first knife I ever bought (saved up when I was 11) and I've never regretted any of the knives I have purchased.

I think they're excellent quality and will serve your needs well. If I had one piece of advice, I'd say stick to the "made in USA" knives. It does sting a little that they make some stuff in China these days.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, sadly. I won't buy anything made in China if there is any other source. And then, I'd consider if I could do without it.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
No real opinion on their knives but I sure like where they are located. Good hunting and fishing, there is a Cabelas nearby, and it is just a short drive to Coeur D' Alene.

Lee
http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee: Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Buck knives. Have a bunch. Also like some other manufacturers, Benchmade in particular. As far as custom, Charlie May makes a great knife.

Frankly, I've moved almost entirely to Havalon Knives as working knives. And one Buck fixed blade that resides in my backpack for splitting rib cages.

Other than that, the custom on my belt is to cut off a piece of biltong and for show.