THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Latest from Gene Ingram: Nessmuk Combo set!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest from Gene Ingram: Nessmuk Combo set!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can't say why, but in the last year or so I've become infatuated with the Nessmuk style blade. I inquired in that regards to a number of makers. So far Gene is the only one that took me serious.

In conversation I asked if he would consider undertaking to make a combo Nessmuk set. IIRC, Mr. Ingram said that that he had not made a Nessmuk style blade before. I texted a picture of a RW Loveless Modified Nessmuk. Well fast forward a couple months and we talked again. He indicated he would like to make the combo but wanted it to be his interpretation of a Nessmuk. I told him to have at it. My only two stipulations were that I wanted A2 steel for the blade and that these were not to be "frilly", but rather a working set. The rest was up to him. Well I got this combo set in the mail last Saturday. To say the least I am ecstatic. The Desert Ironwood is one of my fav's and was a total surprise.

could not wait to employ them. No hoglets to skin so, next best thing, smoked St. Louis style pork ribs for slicing!

I'm jazzed!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Do you see any advantage to that style blade in skinning, or is it just the look that appealed to you?

I'm a fan of desert ironwood myself.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Yep I need one of those from Gene, damn you GW!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knives, Gw. I particularly like the tapered tangs. I got a nessmuk blade about six months and it's become one of favorite knives. It is great for cooking and eating a steak. The key is that the blade has to be thin. My handle is Snakewood. The only thing I would change is that I got mine in A2, also. Since I use it so much around food, I think I would prefer a stainless steel. On the other hand, some people like the patina a high carbon steel like A2 develops.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

I've become enamored of the Nessmuk blade profile and did not have one, so yes, the blade profile was a significant factor.

I do skin quite a few animals and I much prefer a "skinner" profile" for its "belly". I also cape quite a bit and with a "clip point" type blade one is much more likely to pierce a cape.

I figure that the combo is pretty much a do anything set. The A2 is easily resharpened and is resistant to chipping should I want to baton or use the Nessmuck in similar fashion as a cleaver. The companion knife will do duty as a boning knife! I figure they will work great in the kitchen as well as in camp.

the top two knifes are skinners.

the third down is a modified canadian/yukon belt knife. The maker, Gary Dukeman, AKA Squawsatch Knives, caled his Oklahoma
Belt knife.

a couple Nessmuk style blades I've blanked out from Russel green river skinners, which one day I may handle with African Blackwood

an Ontario Knife Co. Old Hicory skinner.

and a Dexter Cleaver.

I'm having a cleaver made out of A2 for hacking bone and making pork chops.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did a good job. The Nessmuck is my favorite style blade to use in the field.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JF, as I commented, the nessmuck is becoming my favorite knife. One has to ask, what would make a knife better, by simply adding a hump to the blade? That doesn't make any sense, but upon closer consideration, I think that the hump allows you to see where the blade is cutting. I have big meat hooks. The truth of the matter is that if I use a smaller blade, one that is more nimble, I simply can't see the blade when it is cutting. With the nessmuk, I can see the hump of the blade, thus where the blade is cutting

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Strangely I do not have anything in that blade style at the moment. Hmmm.....

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I wasn't familiar with that blade pattern before. I bet that's a very useful multi-purpose blade for breaking down and skinning critters. Please do report back on its performance after you've knocked down and parted out a few hogs.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam, I encourage to look into this blade. I think you will like it. Google the story of its history. Pretty interesting stuff

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat:
DesertRam, I encourage to look into this blade. I think you will like it. Google the story of its history. Pretty interesting stuff

I did, thanks. Interesting character. I ended up with a decent factory knife recently, but am still on the lookout for a good custom. I think I'd be content with a blade of this design.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote