THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Less finish, less money, helluva deal........

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less finish, less money, helluva deal........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I own several of David Winston's knives and a couple of his son's (Jason, who just started making recently) as well. David has decided to quit hand finishing his blades to see if a lower price will move more steel and has lowered the price because of less labor in each knife. IMO it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get more knife for the money as these in this thread. I have no, zero monetary interest in this. I am posting this for informational purposes only and because he makes a very fine knife. If you're thinking of buying yourself a nice knife at a good price, act fast, I don't think they will last long.

David Winston knives

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly the kind of knife I'd be looking for...if I was looking for a knife. Plain, simple, and something to use not to admire. All of my knives are like that except one 75 yr. old French knife I have that's factory new. I love to look at gorgeous knives but I'd much rather use them.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of his knives and like it very much- they are very similar to the highly regarded Gene Ingram blades.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
I have one of his knives and like it very much- they are very similar to the highly regarded Gene Ingram blades.

............which is not surprising since David Winston taught Gene a lot of what he knows about knife making originally. And Charles May as well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

David Winston knives

Here's what this link turns up:

YOU ARE NOT A REGISTERED MEMBER

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, go to bladeforums.com and register or just look under "Makers" section, in the "For Sale: Fixed Blades." I'm fairly certain you can do that without registering if you so choose. That's an old thread but, as a matter of fact, Jason Winston has some current knives for sale there. I just bought one with a weathered elk handle. Hopefully this image will show up......(I have now received this knife and it is a really nice piece worth much more than the $145 cost IMO. A great bargain at that pricing level. It is also a full sized knife, that is, more of an all around user than a dedicated skinner. I love that weathered elk handle, kind of a cheap way to get a mammoth bark look)

xxxxxxxxxx