THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Any one used one of these Damascus steel blades?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one used one of these Damascus steel blades?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curretly looking for two blades to use for making (assemblying) my own knives,

has any one used blades from these guys?

http://www.damascususa.com/damascus.htm

Input please before I go off and spend my hard earned cash.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have a Capstick African which I like very much. It hasn't had any hard use so I can't comment on its relative strengths in the field. I bought it because I like the looks of it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make no mention of the steels used so it's hard to tell how practical they are .Ask them.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
When you get done, and making one with the double edges, with simple handle material and straight guards, send it to me to test..... Wink clap knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
chris you are from sweden right ?

if so why would you get stuff from the us, when you have so many great craftsmen back home...

just wondering

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, good solid question, first of it´s matter of price, I can get two blades from the states and perhaps and if I am lucky one at the same price in Sweden.

Furthermore, there is matter of style and in Sweden most blades with damascus are either not very good at all, design vise or they are to short.

I have contacted more than seven blade smiths and they wont even call back to talk about my ideas.

Perhaps it´s time I learn how to make my own blades?

Thank Peter for making me have to think why and not just were.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
actually it is great fun to forge your own blades, and yes you should learn how, it takes some practise.

if you need something special, i consider this guy the best in the world, bar none.

www.poulstrande.com

his prices are not the cheapest, but neither are they in the dream zone like alot of others.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw no mention of the mix of steels used by these fellas. If not stainless (which tend not to be the mixes able to take and retain the best edges) you should be looking for a mixture something like 15N20 or L6 with 1080 to 1095 high carbon steel.

Full forging to shape does restrict some of the patterns that might be available. Is good for a random or raindrop pattern with bold lines. Not so good for ladder or multiple bar pattern welds.

Don't let the guys lead you to believe that forging is easy. Takes a lot of investment and is very labor and time intensive. It is, however, additive Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I noticed these people the other day, might be a good option as well.

http://www.dick-gmbh.de/

You will want to click on the knife box which says Messer and then in the next window on the box which says Messerklingen. Sorry but I don't speak German. Perhaps one of the German speakers can help you there.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Believe this is Rob Charlton and recommend you give him a call to discuss steels. His brother, as I recall, forges the steel and he then makes the knives.

The blade you see below with the red duiker taken a months ago in Natal, is one of a dozen Rob made for a hunting group I belong to. It is special 1/4 inch thick (6 mm) with a sheath that rides high on your belt so even 'tho the knife is big it's out of the way as you hunt. It's a perfect AFrican knife for camp chores, cutting brush to keep a downed animal cool and hidden from vultures until the vehicle arrives and can serve to skin a large animal like a kudu or gemsbok.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink, that link comes up in English for me.If you're talking about the Hocho knife that's laminated [three layers] not damascus.The core is ATS-34 which makes an excellent knife.The Fallkniven knives have a VG-10 core which is also excellent .Their high end blades have a core of SPGS which is really a super steel as in the TK-1 which I have.
We have a good number of fine blade steels available today which is very fortunate.The best stainless steels for blades include S30V,SGPS,154CM [ATS-34], CPM154 [RWL-34] ,D2. thumb

posted Hide Post
I bought one many years ago, when they were making a series for Safari Club International; the knife is well made, but it was not sharp when I received it.
Apparently, they did not expect me to actually use it. It went back twice for sharpening before it was done right. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georg, thanks for the info and input, also for the PM with the heads up.

Best regards to you all.

Chris

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I have a Capstick African which I like very much. It hasn't had any hard use so I can't comment on its relative strengths in the field. I bought it because I like the looks of it.

Wink,
They indicate the Capstick African is 10"in total.
Can you tell me the length of its Blade?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

Wink,
They indicate the Capstick African is 10"in total.
Can you tell me the length of its Blade?

I'll measure it tonight.

I had to check with legal to see if my Capstick African Master Measurer license was still valid. Blade length looks like approximately pretty close to 5.123 inches.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I only come to AR these days to look at the pictures, here are a couple more:

Right side:

Wrong side:

Capstick African in sheath:

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink.
As we both use Metric I should have asked in mm (130mm).
Nice knife anyway.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the Capstick African today with Giraffe scales. Smiler Good price for a damascus blade. Mine will see heavy use as all my blades do. I will give a report on edge holding and sharpening in late November...thats when I really "wring one out". Wink I use a steel to keep an edge on my damascus blades. It has worked good so far. I usually don't let them get too dull before sharpening. Curious to see how this blade compares to some of the more expensive damascus ones I have. More to come...
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote