THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Proper Method of Sharpening Cold Steel Trail Master

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Method of Sharpening Cold Steel Trail Master
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These have a different type of edge than my Meula knife does and am wondering how I go about sharpening it when it dulls. I assume you dont use a steel ??

My Falkniven has the same kind of edge.

cheers PC

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume you dont use a steel ??

Steels simply straighten the edge, they don`t hone/sharpen it. I`d use a stone and keep the same angle as the factory used. If you have a hard time keeping a angle, try a Lansky sharpener. I`ve one and it works great.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're talking about a 'convex' edge.There are a number of photos and tutorials available for sharpening this ever more common edge . You can find these on www.knifeforums.com especially in the Fallkniven section of the forum. If you are not happy with this type of edge you can always sharpen it to a "V" edge though the convex is stronger for choppers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a Lansky and swear by that method. Same principle as the old Loray I have except the Loray is far better quality, however once I had worn a couple of the stones out (over many years) I couldn't get replacements, hence the Lansky. I still use the Loray knife holding device (it grips the knife better) with the Lansky stones. Works for me.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Doncha jest stick it in the sand to sharpen em up?

(ps: lansky's work great and are budget friendly)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this Lanskey tool keep the convex style edge ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Does this Lanskey tool keep the convex style edge ??

No. The lansky's and other guides will give you a flat sided edge. There are a couple ways of getting a good convex edge, I usually use sandpaper and a mousepad....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of convex edges, but way back in the day when I was I found the best way to sharpen them was with a buffing wheel combined with a coarser grit compound. Just give the wheel a touch of the compound and it will sharpen it and then let the compound buff off and give the blade a tiny bit of polish with the wheel.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel uses a slack sanding belt to create a rolled edge. The belt gives enough to roll the edge. It can be done with stone as well. If you look very closely at old Japanese swords, the edges are rolled. It is a techinque that takes a lot of practice to master.

Posts: 24 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 15 September 2008Reply With Quote